Are girls mentally 2 years ahead of boys?

[QUOTE=zellers;2352788]I think that in general, and based on stereotyping from parents, boys at a younger age are supposed to be more aggressive and hyper, as it’s almost suggested by parents. No parent, or at least one that i know, wants their 4 year old boy playing my little pony and having tea party with their stuffed animals.
Since girls tend to be more passive at a younger age, they like stories, art (acting out a tea-party) and essentially are more civilized and mature. This DOES put them ahead mentally imo.

Just my two cents[/QUOTE]

(Gonna ignore the whole motionman noise.)

WARNING: Huge generalisations ahead. Approach with caution.

I agree to a point. But as a kid my playtime was both agressive/active AND hugely based in imagination and fantasy. Just because we were making forts out of boxes, and playing soldiers in the woods with sticks as guns and pine cones as bombs, doesn’t mean we are not stretching the imaginative muscles. I made a helicopter out of a washing machine’s packaging and i didn’t stop making up adventures with it for weeks. I even drew all over the thing adding missile launchers, propellers, windows, ladders etc. God I miss those days!

Then hits the teenage years when girls may act more mature, but for the most part it is just that, an act. They are pressurised by culture and peers to act older than they are in order to look “cool” whereas they are in many ways just as immature as the boys of that age. Hell, the amount of *ing and backstabbing, gossiping and general bull that my sister went through at that age was hilarious to watch. Boys are more into mucking about and having a laugh it seems.

Obviously people differ hugely. As a 26 year old there are certain areas where i see myself as pretty mature, and certain other areas where i definitely am not. My glee when presented with such wonders as my godson’s lego set for example, or my inability not to laugh at poop jokes.

In summation, I fart in the general direction of this topic. teehee … fart.

back on topic:

the reality is that girls learn to adapt to the environment around them

they are not as much “mentally mature”, as much as they play mature

this is illustrated in the rates of underage teenage pregnancies

people believe what they will…

Maturity really does depend on the individual and their own circumstances. You are the product of your experiences, at any given point in life - and while females in general make the claim to faster maturity, I find such a statement to be yet more collectivist nonsense.

Oh yeah, and jailbait lies.

Just thought I’d throw this in;

In Scandinavia, the age requirements on bars/clubs are very often different for men and women. Women normally 18-20 and men around 20-23.

Can’t say I blame the owners. If I owned a bar there’s no way I’d want 18 year old guys getting drunk and acting like douches : P

Obviously this not an argument for ‘guys are more immature’ but there’s definitely something that makes 18-22 year old guys behave like morons in groups. Women, not as much.

I think it’s the cultural expectations of the sexes that makes it seem that way. Our cultures expect a woman to be proper, so women act proper, makes them seem more mature. While for men there isn’t really this expectation :lol:. It’s all just cultural stereotypes.

^^ that’s all that really matters to me :slight_smile: :lol:

[quote=nobody;2352794]It’s stupid to make generalities. I know a lot of immature men and women and a lot of very mature men and women all at different ages. It has less to do with age and more to do with station in life.

Seriously this is very dumb.[/quote]
Let’s all PM Nobody before we make threads to avoid this problem in the future

You don’t already do that?

I know I should, but I really forget, I just can’t remember

[QUOTE=indiasfinest;2353103]Let’s all PM Nobody before we make threads to avoid this problem in the future[/QUOTE]

Oh hey it’s start an e-war with me day today. I didn’t realize. I mailed you a box of tissues and a diary.

Knock yourself out, sport.

I agree that its not up to your age or gender to decide how mentally mature you are, a 16 year old kid might act like a 12 year old girl. But I’m talking about scientific facts that applies to the standard majority.

A friend proved to me, with some biological facts, that girls are mentally ahead of boys of the same age (which I always thought it was only sexually not mentally i.e girls reach the age of puberty before boys do) but I still dont think just because girls develope before boys means that they’re always ahead of boys of the same age mentally. but I cant seem to prove it, so maybe I’m wrong. and google is letting me down so far.

I don’t agree. :smiley:

Thanks for sharing. :slight_smile:

I think this argument (and the many like it in the Random forum) can be summed up in one quote.

“Boys have a *****. Girls have a ******.” - Kindergarten Cop (John Kimble ftw)

[quote=w1sh;2353267]I think this argument (and the many like it in the Random forum) can be summed up in one quote.

“Boys have a *****. Girls have a ******.” - Kindergarten Cop (John Kimble ftw)[/quote]that might have worked back in the day, but now we are all one surgery away from switching teams.

Ask grim
[whisper]zing![/whisper]

[QUOTE=nobody;2352794]It’s stupid to make generalities. I know a lot of immature men and women and a lot of very mature men and women all at different ages. It has less to do with age and more to do with station in life.

Seriously this is very dumb.[/QUOTE]

agreed too, I also know some smart people (male/female) and some really dumb ones…i know a women who is a lawyer, she used to teach lawyers and she’s working as a part time lawyer consultant (not even a real lawyer, like office work etc) obviously for a very less pay…she gets loads of good job offers and says no to them coz she think her boss love her toomuch when half the time she is annoyed by her and whine in front of others…so a really highly educated lawyer…exactly 4 yrs older to me (born on same date) is living example of that…

Ha, I didn’t realize, either. I want in on the celebrations. What do I have to do to get a free diary? Preferably one with a photo of a kitten clinging to a tree branch with the caption “Hang in there!” on the cover. That would be zany, just like me.

// Edit: I don’t quite understand the post below me. But in case it seems like I’m in league with this indiasfinest fellow, let me assure you that I’m not.

A little taste of your own medicine I suppose

Dude, listen. You’re obnoxious and I don’t know/care what your deal with me is. You’re on my ignore list for a reason and I’m going to quit toggling your posts. So you can keep making stupid comments and being annoying, just don’t expect a response. If you think that I care in the slightest what you think of me, you are very much mistaken.

Thread closed, I think for obvious reasons, unless I am so far mentally ahead of ya’ll that you need it spelled out?

:stuck_out_tongue: