Clearing a remote MC

<critique>You should have the Welcome to Hillcrest info as an intro to the site.

Maybe have a normal index page open with the message about the flash player etc. and have the intro stuff on that, then another link that opens the main site in a no scroll or resize window.

My art is rubbish - but I noticed that you go from brighter colours to softer - when you go to the volunteer alley and the links disappear when you move the mouse off them.</critique>

Well, from not knowing how to load and unload movies you’ve certainly come a long way .

The functionality is there, just work on the presentation - like I said my colour preferences are funky - so don’t take too much advice from me re. that.

Also some people may not have their email client set up properly, so think about a contact form, and maybe use a flash form for a subscribe list.

It’s simple to browse aswell and that’s good.

Thank you so much, the positives mean a lot to me.

Yes, you are right, I to am not an artist, I am surprised I even spelled it correct right there… lol

Contact form - I have some ideas and even had one in there, it is just the backend that kills me. I have not been able to get a cgi or other style to carry the data anywhere, so I went back to the email link until I learned how to make the backend work. I want to do an entire volunteer form within the movie. I can build the form, bit will need help to make it work.

I have to do some reading on a loader style page to introduce the site, I never thought about the intro stage within the main stage, good idea!
The site is used by a Parent teacher organization, and they said they wanted color. I will see what they say about the setup.

No Scroll or resize window? got me on that one, how to do??

Thanks for sharing the good with the constructive, that is great feedback.

Later…:slight_smile:

2 things off topic[list][]Yeah, why do so many people choose that dude with a beard??[]I think that you can removeMovieClip clips that have not been attached not duplicated. I have to check it before I say anything stupid[*]And me45, nice start. Keep working, man[/list]pom :asian:

I don’t know why that dude is popular, but I do know that you can’t remove an mc, that hasn’t been attached or duplicated - you can set it to visible = 0, or move it off stage.

Hey me45,
Just a quick note on feedback forms - you can use PHP instead of CGI. I learned enough to make a serviceable feedback form. Do a googlesearch for “php feedback form” and you’ll get good tutorials and even some wizards that will write for you. Modify this code in an ASCII editor like textpad, SimpleText, etc. and post to your site. Just make sure PHP is installed on your server - it’s free, so if not, ask your ISP to do so.

Besides not having email clients configured, it’s a good Web practice to use a form b/c:

1. looks more pro
  2. trawlers can’t grab your email address off your site and add you to mailing lists - they never see the mailto address!

Hope this helps!
JC

Spam robots grabbing emails are a prob but I’m not sure if they can nab emails from swf’s.

And I use a PHP form on my site - much easier to use than Perl, and only needs a couple of lines of PHP code.

There should be tutorials for it on this site, if not heres one that I learnt from. I added some more actionscript to it, but as it is, it’s pretty good:

http://www.actionscript.org/tutorials/intermediate/php_send_mail/index.shtml

*Originally posted by flex *
but I do know that you can’t remove an mc, that hasn’t been attached or duplicated
Oh yeah? Then watch this: :slight_smile:

Put 2 clips on the scene, instance names ball1 and ball2. In the timeline:

ball1.onPress=function(){
	ball2.swapDepths(106000);
	ball2.removeMovieClip();
	for (var thing in _root) {trace (_root[thing]);}
}

Test the movie and press ball1…

How’s that? :stuck_out_tongue: I learnt it from Mama from www.flashxpress.net one of the most amazing flashers I’ve ever seen.

pom :asian:

Right, I highly doubt they could grab an address out of Flash - I skipped that part!

JC:)

Hmmm, but how would that would for a standard hit test, eg

if (this.hitTest(_root.thing)) {
_root.thing.removeMovieClip(); // <-- for attached or dupped mc
}

Would you have to use swap depths with another dummy mc?

And also - that site is in French. I no speaky francais

// mama :: www.yamago.net :: removeMovieClip()
// =========================================
// allows you to remove instances of clips whether they are
// static or dynamic
// NB: no clip must exist at depth 1048575

MovieClip.prototype.removeMovieClipTmp = removeMovieClip;

MovieClip.prototype.removeMovieClip = function () {
    this._visible=false;
    this.swapDepths(1048575);
    this.removeMovieClipTmp();
}

You can check their games too, they’re awesome.

pom :asian:

Thanks, pom, very useful…