How did you learn?

sefl taught html through View>source. learning flash/AS/php through kirupa and a couple of books.

iā€™m actually taking web design 1 at my school (canā€™t believe there were 2 prereqā€™s for it/had to get department permission b/c i donā€™t have them) this fall. basic html/photoshop. hahahaha. i was going to ask if i could TA if i couldnā€™t take it.

Crazyā€¦ Same here with phisicsā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue: Iā€™m a real phisics maniac and in the summer i would studie phisics booksā€¦ call me crazy. :stuck_out_tongue: But Iā€™m mostly sleeping the class and still get the highest grade. lol!

But I guessā€¦ Most of the poeple just learned by doing it. Are there anny highly educated people in the bisness?

http://google.com/ :wink:

Someone rubbed my head and then all of a sudden I became it. Ever since then Iā€™ve had nightmares and more nightmares :evil2:.

ā€“

No actually I got into it because of the fact that you can design realistic stuff when it comes to webdesign. Doesnā€™t make sense but whatever.

I learned by my brother MAKING me get into flash and he taught me how to motion tween a box and that was it. From there I because a fool and started to like flash :(. Once you like flash you know the capabilities of photoshop, then 3D, then codingā€¦so I experimented in lots of programs.

Why did I have to get into this. Why couldnā€™t I just be a normal kid who doesnā€™t know anything except microsoft word.

I need some water. Someone stab me and cut off the dreadful fingertips.

lol thats a really sad story I feel you sharif :stuck_out_tongue:

ditto, slowly but surely it works

plus many many tutorials and a bit of help from others

Copying peopleā€™s code, online tuts and some books.

Books were a big help though

Lol yup, itā€™s true though. I hate myself now. Iā€™m on my computer off and onā€¦

I took a couple of classes but learned almost everything I know now from here :slight_smile:

Well Sophmore year of high school when the internet really started showing up. That would have been about 7 years ago. (Most of you were like 5 then) I started learning HTML from books and code samples. I started learning to be mischevious. I wanted to create a page that looked like the hotmail sign-on page so I could grab everyones usernames and passwordsā€¦ High School gossip is entertaining.

During my first year of college my sister showed some of my work to a friend of hers who owned a web company and he said he would train me some more if I would come work for him. So I dropped out and became a CodFusion programmer. Got to do some flash and graphics, but I was learning ColdFusion from co-workers and from books.

Since then Iā€™ve leanred more programming from books online guides. Flash Iā€™ve learned on my own from books, tutotrials and knowing the right people to ask questions to.

Actually the truth is 2advanced recruited me and eric jordan rubbed my head so I become all wierd.

Lol j/k :P.

I learned everything i can from ScripFlipper! He showed me Photoshop and introduced me to Flash. I salute you ScriptFlipper! Thanks dude. :smiley:

[ot]

Are you implying that most of us are 12 years old? :P[/ot]

Thatā€™s about when I started learning HTML. I was 8 :wink: hehe. After I learned the basics I had a few years where I was designing on and off, but only started reading a lot of books again last year. Which is when I picked up Flash, PHP, and CSS.

For me, everything started with MS Publisher 97. Hehe I know, not a webdesign tool, but I saw that you could make websites with it (orā€¦ sort of). I was about 8 at the time. So I made one site and showed my parents, I was so proud over my template-created lack-of-content website hehe :stuck_out_tongue:
Then I realized that Publisher wasnā€™t a webdesign app, so I started using MS Frontpage Express. Made a few sites at age 9-10.
Learned HTML some how, guess it was because I wanted to edit my sites at school, and they only had Notepad :stuck_out_tongue: Used tutorials and common sense combined with logic.

Uhmā€¦ After that, I started playing around in Photoshop and uhmā€¦ I think I got Dreamweaver when I was about 14 or so (donā€™t ask me how I got it).

Started learning PHP cause it was needed for a clientā€™s website, age 16. Used books and tutorials. Downloads the trial version of Flash 5. Donā€™t understand one thing about it, so I uninstall it.

Age 17. Gets a copy of Flash 5. Start tweening some stuff and uses Google in my search for tutorials. Sees a link to kirupa.com - Ultimate Flash Resource. Visits.
Joins forum. Gets addicted. Been here since. Learned everything I know about Flash from here. (Well, the basics. The rest Iā€™ve learned on my own or by postiong questions.)

I owe you K-man :smiley:

Thatā€™s about it.

EDIT:
@keeka: Youā€™re welcome :wink:

yepā€¦ I learned all flash off this siteā€¦ I played around from flash 3 till flash 5ā€¦ and only got a motion between and simple action scriptā€¦ I mean a play button was kickass. back then. :slight_smile: Then I suddenly got flash 6 and kirupaā€¦

I started off just using publisher, from then I mostly used online tutorialsā€¦until i got a job and then I could afford a couple of books.

Self taught for everything. Except combustion, I won a free class (from my 3d stuff) to learn that. But otherwise, I learned by trial and error :slight_smile:

How Did You Learn?

By Mistake :stuck_out_tongue:

I started by making islands in Microsoft Paint -

I always had a passion for art and drawing and when I discovered that my other love computers, would allow me to create art there. I went at it. I started designing websites back in 9th grade with a friend of mine. Now almost a decade layer I find myself dealing with large corporations and rock bands.

It all takes determination and the key secret is to apply what you know in a way that hasnā€™t been done before. Sounds cliche, but few actually do it.

As far as learning the programs - started just playing around with it - eventually got most of it figured out and then started in on online tutorials. I never had any success with books - they were too cookie cutter and not well laid out in my opinion.

Another method was to see an effect I enjoyed on the website, and then try my hardest to recreate it from scratch in Photoshop, and I didnā€™t stop until I had it.

I drew from various other designers, and fused everything together and created my own style.

Design is something that can somewhat be learned - but you have to feel it and allow your natural ability to come out.

It has to be a passion, a hobby, and a frustration all at once haha.

I like DDDā€™s quote in his signatureā€¦
ā€œOnce you find a job you love, youā€™ll never work again.ā€