Reply to this thread to submit a site (Week 2/14-2/20)

If you wish to be considered for the SOTW for February 14 through February 20, 2003, please read the summary of rules:

1. Reply by Thursday, February 20 to be considered for this week’s award.

2. Include the URL and your email address. Only the webmaster/creator of the site can submit.

3. Websites submitted must be at least 90% Flash. Sites that have HTML pages with a Flash intro are ineligible.

4. While it is understood that sites are perpetually under construction, please submit only complete sites. Do not submit a site that is less than 80% finished.

5. Submissions must be actual websites with sections and content. Examples of ineligible include (but not limited to) flash games, movies, etc.

6. There will be a private poll among the moderators and a winner will be announced on Monday, February 24, 2003.

7. No critiques or feedback is allowed in the submission thread. If you wish a concentrated critique of your site, you may start a thread in Site Check.

For more information or questions, please refer to the Official SOTW Rules. Once you have read and understand the rules above, you may submit your site to this thread. Sites not adhering to the rules above will be disqualified and deleted. Submitting your site is an agreement and acceptance of the rules.

sorry I guess it helps to read the directions carefully:

http://www.daskonzept.com
[email protected]

I would like to submit my site:

www.alperceylan.com.tr.tc

for the site of the week

URL: http://www.hostultra.com/~mintexy/
Email: [email protected]

I’m getting the following error:

[COLOR=red]
Cannot Find index.html

You are seeing this message because you dont have an index.html file
You have to create a file named index.html and put it in this folder to replace this default page!
[/COLOR]

~Rengirl.

I am only 14 years old, and have been working on my personal homepage for some time now.

I would like to submit it:

.::Roberts-Website::.

[email protected]

Thank you.

-rob:)

I would like to submit my site:

http://2complex.cjb.net
[email protected]

here’s my site

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/matt.kenyon

[email protected]

keep up the good work!

My website:

http://www.wdheaven.com/flashCity.html

Email:

[email protected]

Thanks

My 100% personal website:

www.kajinku.com

My e-mail address:

[email protected]

Thank you.

re submitting my site because the url changed… www.bezzanet.idz.net

email: [email protected]

:slight_smile:

hi,

i would like to submit any of the following for site of the week

http://www.wendysutherland.com

http://www.greybardesign.com

here’s hoping!

KR

::::: AnOraK :::::

Tough choice… :sigh:

The results are in:

Konzept 0%
alper 0%
[COLOR=red]rob88wells (disqualified, under construction)[/COLOR]
2complex 0%
mariofan 36.36%
JGizmo 9.09%
Kajinku 45.45%
Bezzer 0%
Anorak 9.09%

The winner is Kajinku!

Congratulations Kajinku. You may also post a graphical award from this page: http://www.kirupa.com/gallery/awards.asp.

Good job to all the participants. One of the valuable aspects of SOTW is to get valuable feedback about your site and get an idea of how well it stands beside some of the best on the web. Check back later as mod critiques will be posted later today.

Konzept:

a bit small and colorless, but the design is nice. Also I don’t understand why there’s such a big clock in the middle of the site :o

Not a bad site at all. The only problem I found was with the pale colors and blurry text.

simple clean… monochromatic (take that as you will). The animated background could have been ditched to help speed things up a bit after navigating to the view section, though the gear zoom was a nice touch.

nice, too small, too empty…

I found the animation to be very choppy on my computer. The colors were a bit on the dull side and I didn’t see much point to the giant clock or gears. Some of the text was a bit blurry and hard to read.

The background animation is distracting… fortunately, the calm color scheme helps tone it down a bit. It’s kind of boring though… if I wasn’t judging this thing, I would leave this site in a second.

Hmmm, quite nice… I’m still to be convinced of the benefit of a splash page. Did this one really need it, and was it worth it? I like the smooth movement of the cogs once you’re inside though. Nice colour scheme too, but the navigation was a bit difficult to work out to begin with. And it was all quite small.

alper:

This site looks a bit unfinished. The menu, for instance, is just images put one next to another And also, the buttons in the portfolio don’t seem to work, the font is hard to read in one of the sections…

The site really needs a skip intro button, but the site looks largely unpolished.

simple. Seems a little patchy and lacking uniformity

nothing special…nothing new…

That ambience sound started to get annoying real quick. None of the buttons in the portfolio worked, the text was blurry and hard to read. especially in the about me section.

That music is creepy and unwelcomed and worst of all, there seems to be no way of turning it off! Alper also seems to have A LOT to learn about design: there’s no unity or consistency in composition and typography. A good start but it’s really a beginner’s use of flash and not a good candidate for this award.

Apparently I needed a Turkish language pack for this one? Didn’t like it very much I’m afraid. Seemed a little plain and boring, the graphics weren’t eye-catching, and it spawned a load of pop ups.

2complex:

There are a few problems with the design, I think: there’s a background behind the menu but not the rest of the site, that picture on the left looks strange because it never changes, and it’s not incorporated in the design, and the transitions would need a bit more work. But there’s some nice pieces of artwork in the portfolio

I actually thought this site was nice. The only problem was the lack of content and improper use of pixel fonts (I think). The edges of his fonts look blurry - not sure if he meant to have that effect.

2advanced rip? Didnt work for me anyway

nice & simple, loads fast, BUT: where’s the “sound off”?! disqualified for that!

Did someone say e-studio? I also didn’t get why you replaced the entire middle .swf file when you load in the same image to the left of the city. It would be easier if you just loaded in a movie on the right and saved having to load all of that all over again.

not in this league. Just like alper - still needs to get a more solid grasp of design. Flash features are also very basic… a good start and “practice run” but not impressive enough for this award.

Another splash page, but since it was a really funky one, I’ll let it pass. Two versions as well, which shows thought. Did load in a pop up as a down point. Naughty boy. I like the site though, it was cool. There was some interesting animation on it, but nothing too overpowering. Good transitions between pages and quick loading time.

JGizmo:

The idea is good, but I don’t really like it. I was kinda stressed by the nav…

A really unique idea. The site was nice, but the navigation was a bit clunky. The city looked kind of dull - maybe attempting to create something pixely might be cool?

cool, fun interface, though slow and extremely hard to read.

Hesitated along time between mario and Gizmo, in the end decided for gizmo coz it’s larger, i like the transparency and the originality of the navigation.

Wow, this is pretty unique. The text is really small though. I see you have it set to scale to the screensize, in my case it also shrinks your text down so it is unreadable. I like the idea though, it is interesting.

It’s way cool. I find the layout very creative and fun. But for the love of all that is decent, I can’t read the text! Also, when i try to turn of the music… it gradually lowers the volume before finally turning it off… I don’t like that… I wish it would shut up as soon as I click. I really want to like this site… but really fix the text!

I really liked his little preloader, that got my attention. The setting up was fairly lengthy, and there wasn’t much content yet. I would have liked to have seen more buildings and areas to visit. The navigation was a bit strange though, not too clear.

<a name=“mario”></a>Mariofan:

Nice, clean, simple, good idea, I like that.

Cool colors and a interesting navigation that hasn’t been overused - yet. The pre-loader was classy and edgy. I was torn between mariofan and anorex, but I voted for mariofan instead.

simple yet unique. Seems to be in need of some ‘flare’ (?) though, and the multiple roll for sections can be a little confusing

you give some details about shools you went to and a phone to reach you, but in what part of the world do you live?! cool robots, nice transitions, very good use of “print”…just a bit to small and too white…

As mentioned before by a member of the forum, it is not really evident that your site is supposed to mock a rolling cube, it is very unique though, I don’t think I have seen a site with an effect quite like that yet.

this site uses very simple animations, but it’s pretty refreshing and new to my eyes. The text is small but easy to read. The navigation is very user-friendly. I am also impressed by mariofan’s works (woohoo robots!). His portfolio is nicely organized too. I really love this site, it is a very eligible SOTW submission.

Splash again… A very small site, plain and simple. But I did kind of enjoy it. No fancy twiddly bits, just those dotted drawings and text… The transitions between pages were clean too, and there was no hanging about.

Kajinku:

Charming little site I don’t like blue so much, and a white font on a dark blue background isn’t the best for me, but the design is nice anyway. And the frogs are cool. Raaahh! I don’t like that site so much… Looks too much like a cheap 2advanced… Well, I guess that’s what we call democracy

A really nice site with some stunning images. He could have added some more content though.

looks professional and well done. Interesting ‘useful’ content (such as x.tras like the matrix news etc, though more or a news archive seemed to be lacking - though you never know since this site hasnt even been fully functional for more than 10 days), as well as a good connection of audio with interface. Biggest disappointment: “I saw [this website] so many times, I dont even like it anymore” - the author of the site. Well ok, that and in “about me” he uses the sex gag though with “gender” and not actually sex. “Gender: yes… hehehe. Oh allright: male” Of course, that in itself adds to the humor

beautiful, but i found the load times to long (on cable…)

Despite its obvious 2Advanced influence, I think you did a good job. Your text is clear and easy to read, the navigation is clear, the images uses in the sections of the frogs are stunning (plus I like frogs). My vote went to Kanjiku, although I was tempted to vote for Bezzer or Anorak, but there were some flaws in anoraks design I didn’t like and bezzer could of changed a few things as well.

hey, hey, hey! 2advance copycat in the house! I’m sure this person worked very hard on this site, but zero points for originality.

Soon as this started to load I thought ‘2advanced clone’. Very similar in colour and layout, except he’s gone for a brighter picture. I like the frog… Some of the photos in his gallery made me laugh. I like it, but it’s not really original.

Bezzer:

Very good usability! I like that very much, you really improved your site since last time. Everything is crystal clear, the music is cool, I like the feel of the site. The only thing I don’t like is the transition you use, that is to say NO outro, and the easing box.

Cool site with a classy interface that can be modified. Text is easy to read - this is an awesome site.

nice OS-like design. Interesting experiments (though not without their flaws) - and lots to show which shows dedication and experience. The color selection is nice as well.

personaly, i dislike pastel colors, and i see no interest in knowing my mouse position, and i do know what comp’ i’m on… nice experiments…uninteresting interface…

Definite improvement over last time man. I love that you can change the color, and the layout is nice and clean. I do not like how the navigation label text shows up in the corner when the buttons are in the middle though, it took me a while to realize that, and it also seems the mouse coords and system info in the bottom tray really have no true purpose but to take up space. I likes though. My vote went to Kanjiku, although I was tempted to vote for Bezzer or Anorak, but there were some flaws in anoraks design I didn’t like and bezzer could of changed a few things as well.

Hmm… it’s a nice site. I like the icons and I like the clean layout. But it doesn’t particularly strike me as an advanced use of flash. This site could probably be more cleanly executed using HTML and CSS.

First glance - lovely. I could change my colour scheme to what I wanted. Date, time, co-ords are all a nice little touch. Loading times were minimal and there was some good content on there, especially in the Experiments section. I really liked this one.

Anorak:

Nice interface. I like the drawings and the colors very much, but it’s always the same effects and the same transitions. By the way, I would increase the frame rate a little bit to have smoother transitions.

Great colors, great transitions, and unique use of Flash’s drawing tools.

interesting use of the cooking metaphor in presenting the company. Good use of animated characters (nicely done at that) and the interface is simple and easy to navigate

very nice vectorart, but with all this bakery stuff, it takes (a bit) to long to notice it’s in fact about webdesing…

I found the text very tiny and hard to read. Also, you should make your dynamic text unselectable because it got annoying seeing my text selection mouse cursor over some parts of your movie. I do love the colors, and it is an excellent use of the flash drawing tools. I think the main downfall is that I am having a lot of trouble reading this text. My vote went to Kanjiku, although I was tempted to vote for Bezzer or Anorak, but there were some flaws in anoraks design I didn’t like and bezzer could of changed a few things as well.

ok, who started this trend of having the music slowly lower before finally turning off. This is a terrible idea. I also think it’s a hindrance to usability to create an enigmatic menu… basically having menu items named something that doesn’t directly relate to the contents it will lead to. This reminds me of a lot of My Little Pony sites that have menu items like “Super Magical Carpet Ride” instead of the more easily distinguishable “Links.” Sure… it’s creative, and the art director might think it’s “fun,” but in the world wide web, the confusion can easily convince the visitors to just leave. That aside, this is a very well designed site. The graphics are clean and the illustrations, obviously made by someone very talented. I also like the logo.

Nice preloader, like teh little character. He’s cute. Also love the line art style when you get iside - little bit of animation there, but too distracting. Great colour scheme, fantastic pictures. Simple navigation. Well, in my opinion, the best was saved till last. Anorak it is for me.

First of all, thanks for the award! I still can’t believe I won from Mariofan (it was close though), 'cause I think his site is very original. Very good job on your website by the way! :slight_smile:

It’s weird to read the same comment over and over: “obvious 2Advanced influence”. Honestly, I did not try to copy 2Advanced (which is a great site, of course) at all. My website has the standard “buttons / picture / content” layout that many websites have nowadays, it’s true, and is therefore not very original, again, very true. I made this website just for me, with no special intentions and concentrated myself more on the “feeling” and atmosphere then on the design. Here is the truth: Pixelranger was my big example. I studied the combination of the blue colours (which is one of my favourites) and mixed a bit myself. Still, I wanted something different and went my own way. I didn’t take one look at 2Advanced!

Anyway, I’m not trying to defend myself or my site, I actually think it’s rather cool that my tiny website is being compared to the huge 2Advanced Studios. But I felt like I had to give some explaination after winning the Kirupa SOTW award.

It’s very cool, and I’m very glad. Thanks, once again.
I appreciate it!! :tie:

Congratulations to Kajinku…

Nice site…

Thanxx to the judges for having a look at my tasties…

Comments appreciated and taken on board…

ATB

::::: AnOraK :::::

Congrats Kajinku!
I just looked at your site for the first time and found it very cool. Keep the sites coming :).

cheer kajinku - and well done, you deserved it:A+:. If we never got inspiration from things, then we probably would all be stale… keep up the good work!! maybe ill win another time!!!

mariofan

That’s the spirit, Johnny boy! [SIZE=1]I loved your site btw :beam:[/SIZE]