Scrollers Tutorial

Edges. Vertical and edges.

Check out this generic scroller tutorial: www.enetserve.com/tutoria…orial.html\r\rThey give the basics about scrollers. After this tutorial, I was able to make all kinds of scrollers for anything.

Thanks, but it’s still not exactly what I’m looking for.\r\rThe most important part is the buttons. It has to have both the scroller and the buttons.

(This message was left blank)

I know somebody knows this…

OK, let’s say that your buttons make the movie move by 10 pixels, up or down. Hypothetically, all you’d have to do is divide the space between the buttons into small areas, 10 pixels wide, and when you actually stop dragging the scroller, it goes to the closest area. Does that make any sense ??\r\rpom 0]

I’m still fiddling with some numbers, but yes, you’re right, that seems to work.\r\rI spent too much time assuming the answer was complicated when it was really quite obvious.\r\rThanks.

Could you post your fla ? Or show us the swf, I’d like to see it work, and what your code exactly is.\r\rpom 0]

Well, I haven’t really got it working yet, it would appear. Here’s the .swf:\r\r<a href = “http://may17th.tripod.com/whatever.html”>http://may17th.tripod.com/whatever.html</a>\r\rOnly the up-button and the scroller work right now. Click on the up-button for a while, then click on the scroller. You’ll see the problem.\r\rI’m using Pom’s code from his tutorial. The problem is that it’s too based on the location of the cursor.\r\rI’m getting kind of annoyed with this.\r\rI’d be very, very happy if somebody would just give me a link to a tutorial that tells me exactly how to do this.

I’m a try.\r\rpom 0] \rWhat code did you use in the buttons ??

That’s what I managed to do. Not too bad, but not perfect…\rIt’s really very close to the tutorial, so I don’t think you’re gonna have trouble understnding it. I added an array prototype in the “code” frame, the one given by Supra to find the nearest value. The rest is silence…\r\rYou can find the source <a href=http://www.multimania.com/ilyaslamasse/kirupa/endofdays2.fla>THERE</a>. Tell me what you think.\rpom 0]

Thanks.\r\rI haven’t checked the .fla yet, but the .swf looks like exactly what I’m looking for.\r\rAs soon as I get this done with, I’m making a tutorial for it.\r\rI can’t believe I couldn’t find a single tutorial for this on the entire internet.\r\rIt’s got to be one of the most practical things on earth.

Actually, I’ve made it much more difficult that it could have been, because of that ** pitch** thing. It works very well for small values of pitch, although the speed of the scroll is way too high, but for high values of pitch, it’s totally useless. You’ll see, I hope, because it’s a real mess.\r\rpom 0] \r\rThere’s also a problem of alignement, as I don’t seem to allow the scroller to go to the right extremity of the bar.

Yeah, but I think I can get past that.\r\rOne thing that still drives me insane… Even on yours, when you click on the scroller it moves slightly based on the location of your mouse.\r\rThere has to be some way to do this with just startDrag… That way that wouldn’t happen… It would stay nice and immobile until you dragged it yourself…

I can’t pull it off. Too many movie clips. The X and Y values get all messed up.

Anybody who wants a crack at the .fla, give me your e-mail and I’ll send it to you.

I need this done, but I can’t get it working…

What’s the prob, Bob ?
pom 0]

Simply put, I still haven’t gotten it working perfectly. Actually, now I’m further off than ever.

The real problem is that when the program looks at the x and y values of the scroller, they’re all in a huge complicated mesh of movie clips that gives them weird, inconstant x and y values that don’t work very well together.

Are you talking about my fla ? I don’t remember putting clips all around the place…

pom 0]

No, I’m talking about my .fla. It’s covered with clips, and they’re all completely necessary.

I don’t know how I can help. Good luck then…

pom 0]