Wall Street Journal Hedcuts

I’m impressed by the little faces that they have on the Wall Street Journal, and I’ve been looking for a way to make them in Photoshop. I looked, and I looked, and I looked, and I finally found a decent filter that does it for you. I made one for myself, and here I show you guys how to make it, so you can post your own. I’m sure some of you will improve on my method. You can read more about hedshots here** and look at some cool ones **[URL=http://www.nolinovak.com/index2.html]here. By the way, I’m using Photoshop 7 here.

First of all, download the India Ink filter from **HERE **and put it in your Photoshop Filters folder. It’s a free trial, but it will work for this. I’m definitely buying it.

Next, pick a picture to start with. The hedshot will look better if the depth of the facial features can be clearly made out, so make sure that your picture has some shadows. This is the one I used:
[CENTER]
[/CENTER]

Next, make a document that’s 150x200

[CENTER][/CENTER]

Fit your picture in…

[CENTER][/CENTER]

At this point, I’d recommend that you crop the rest of the crap. I did that by flattening the layers. Then, use the india ink filter. The edges of the picture in the preview might look messed up, but that doesn’t happen once you run the filter. You should use the Oustromoukhov effect, and play around with the sharpen and diameter.

[CENTER][/CENTER]

Next, resize the size of the canvas - add about 5 pixels on each edge:

[CENTER][/CENTER]

Erase a little bit of the bottom, so that it looks cool:

[CENTER][/CENTER]

And add a border to the image:

[CENTER][/CENTER]

And it’s done. When I export it as a gif (Shift+Ctrl+Alt+S) I replace the black color with something bluish, so here’s the end result:
[CENTER][/CENTER]

Now, it’s NOT EXACTLY how they do it on the WSJ, but it’s close. The ones in the WSJ are actually hand drawn. I’m still working on resizing these correctly, I kinda want to use it as my avatar. I’m sure you guys can figure out how to make this better.

**Update: Pretty boy hit it right on the head when he noticed it looked better when you resize it: Here’s the outcome:

[CENTER] [/CENTER]