what happened to actionscript.org

BillyBussey, 2advanced, k10k, yugop, turtleshell, balthaser, akimbo, hillmancurtis, juxt interactive, shockwave.com, habbohotel, dubit.co.uk, once-upon-a-forest, bit-101, erik natzke, and soo many more that I should add to this list of Flash content that is mostly lost forever.

Oddly enough, it seems they think they have it under control….

Spam attack stopped

… or seemingly they have given up again since then?

Appears to me like maybe a DDoS attack got their attention and got them to take some measures at that time, but I doubt (and it doesn’t seem to be the case) that they’re going to try to do a better job of maintaining things.

Hey, I remember Barn on this forum! I also seem to remember being annoyed by him several times, though I was ~15 back then and not old and wise like I am now :wink:

I was just digging around in the post about Barn quitting as.org. It’s funny, in a sad/ridiculous way, reading the old Internet forum fights about nothing.

Senocular, by the way, do you still have MOD privileges over there? Whatever happened to CyanBlue do you know?

Seems like they are either still under attack or trying to resolve the spam, or maybe neither just adding more ads.

3/31/14 - We are performing some essential maintenance. Please come back soon!

The question is however, after being run off by spammers is there anyone to come back once resolved?

If you look at the person whom posted that announcement about the DDoS:

Rafael-MasMedia - Administrator
Home page - http://theforum.com/our-communities/

They seem to own many unrelated and somewhat diverse forums, sadly AS.org seems to be the only one that was left to become a waste land (at least presently).

I do, but I think I stopped being very involved myself before a lot of this happened. I’m not sure what happened to CB, but I assumed he lasted longer than I did. With an increased workload I’ve pretty much reduced myself to just kirupa (and even then often sporadically). I could do some digging around but not much can be done while they’re under maintenance.

Not to prolong this discussion, but the actionscript.org forum has been gone completely for a few months. Perhaps they gave up completely? What a shame, with Flash all but dead, it’s still nice to have these repositories for cross reference for relative JS research. Sigh, a lot was lost if its gone for good, thanks Kirupa for keeping your old forum as an archive.

I think that forum was rather active up to the end.

I doubt that there are any people in that forum?

Well, aside from spammers, it seems like regular participants just gave up long ago, sadly.

The forum actually just came back online in the last week or so, after about two months of being down, sadly they didn’t do anything to remove or rectify the spam problem. I think they actually added even more “ad” features though.

nice…post

Another one gone for the ages, gotoandlearn forum

http://www.gotoandlearnforum.com/index.php

“Forum will cease to exist 12 Sep 2015, due to inactivity.”

Looks like they are ahead of schedule however. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Louis ck

kirupaForum: Now the biggest Flash forum on the web!

(by default)

2 Likes

Yay!!!

actionscript.org seems to be active once again in the as3 category

Their most recent article is from the middle of 2013. Are you seeing something more recent?

He’s talking about the forums, silly.

1 Like

Well, let them. I’m sure the rolling tumbleweeds at ActionScript.org would be very interested in working from home, penis enlargement, or quick weight loss. :joy:

He was still active over there for a while after Jesse left; I talked to him in like 2014 IIRC… I have him on my LinkedIn, he’s still a developer, but I believe he’s moved on from AS. Works for some government contracted software dev house.