Who Needs Flash!? ScottSchiller.com

Well it’s mosts js/dhtml…what did you expect?

The point was the challenge - emulating “Flash without Flash”, ie. the animation effects. It’s all Object-Oriented javascript, there are objects for Windows, Events, Actions and an Event Queue.

The script has been written so that something like this will animate a window:

with (addAction(someWindowObject)) {
method = maximize;
sound = ‘maximize’;
onComplete = doSomethingElse;
enqueue();
}

queue.fire(); // start animation

Window objects have other methods such as moveTo(), resizeTo(), restore(), etc. The animation library creates tweens (much like Flash), all you have to do is provide the coordinates “to” in the case of moveTo() and resizeTo(). Other methods such as maximize() are handled “automagically”.

The site was developed and has been tested under Mozilla, Safari 1.2 and ie 5.0+:win32 - the site initially will animate in under ie:mac, Safari 1.0-1.1, Opera (7 I think) etc. but will render unstyled content if any links are followed as those browsers don’t support the XMLHTTP object (as described on the site.)

Admittedly there are some resize-related bugs - the work isn’t complete, but it had been sitting on my hard drive for a while. The theory was if I put it live, I’d get more motivation to finish the rest. :wink:

I haven’t built out the “content framework” to provide templated fully qualified URLs to older browsers and those not supporting XMLHTTP yet - but it’s in the works.

I should mention the site may be a bit laggy due to traffic/routing problems, but the initial site code (~60 KB), images and sound effects (~55KB) etc. is around 190 KB in total.

Thanks for the comments.

• Scott

you did a fine job thus far tho. Had me fooled for a second. I can do simple stuff with js/dhtml but you took it extreme. gj.

BB Forum’s comments - might want to read the histeria Scott

:wink: They liked it when I posted it a while back.

kick ***… loading was 4 seconds here… :slight_smile: FireFox :+)

AWesome site… This source, I need to take a look… :slight_smile:

pretty impressive to be entirely done without any flash.

LoL, word got around quick that his site was posted here :slight_smile:

Also, when I got home and checked the site again it loaded in about 5 seconds, must have been the funky networking or traffic.

Still yet, beautiful for an HTML site

@bombing
No, I got the site from Styleboost.

oh ok, I don’t remember where I got it, maybe a css site…

nice one for a non-flash page

but some things are displayed wrong in firefox :frowning:

I’m using firefox and I didn’t notice any mistakes, of course I didn’t try ie so I have no comparison…

good work by the guy. It loaded like a normal site on my system. I can tell u we dont have the best of connections. Great work

never knew you could do something link that without flash, im still amazed.

finally a cool site that doesnt take an hour to load on my crappy dialup!

/jumps out of lerkness
WHOA…
/jumps back into lerkness

Im impressed.

good stuff, but you can “pry the flash from my cold dead hands”, I could never script that much, that good…Impressive

Seriously --> what the crap!

What is the world coming to anyways?

Whoooaaaagh!!! u guys know how hard that is to do ! RES)PEK to Scott. a few bugs on Mozilla but dudes got some DHTML skillz

yep… I know

Word down in Yugoslavia-Town is that he types with is Adam’s Apple instead of with his hands.

That just makes him more impressive.

Duuudddee, that’s alotta work for what it is really. I think using flash would be ample for the site, and I think maybe it would be compatible with the same amount if not more browsers.

Impressive design anyway! :wink: