Who Needs Flash!? ScottSchiller.com

The point was the challenge - emulating ā€œFlash without Flashā€, ie. the animation effects. Itā€™s all Object-Oriented javascript, there are objects for Windows, Events, Actions and an Event Queue.

The script has been written so that something like this will animate a window:

with (addAction(someWindowObject)) {
method = maximize;
sound = ā€˜maximizeā€™;
onComplete = doSomethingElse;
enqueue();
}

queue.fire(); // start animation

Window objects have other methods such as moveTo(), resizeTo(), restore(), etc. The animation library creates tweens (much like Flash), all you have to do is provide the coordinates ā€œtoā€ in the case of moveTo() and resizeTo(). Other methods such as maximize() are handled ā€œautomagicallyā€.

The site was developed and has been tested under Mozilla, Safari 1.2 and ie 5.0+:win32 - the site initially will animate in under ie:mac, Safari 1.0-1.1, Opera (7 I think) etc. but will render unstyled content if any links are followed as those browsers donā€™t support the XMLHTTP object (as described on the site.)

Admittedly there are some resize-related bugs - the work isnā€™t complete, but it had been sitting on my hard drive for a while. The theory was if I put it live, Iā€™d get more motivation to finish the rest. :wink:

I havenā€™t built out the ā€œcontent frameworkā€ to provide templated fully qualified URLs to older browsers and those not supporting XMLHTTP yet - but itā€™s in the works.

I should mention the site may be a bit laggy due to traffic/routing problems, but the initial site code (~60 KB), images and sound effects (~55KB) etc. is around 190 KB in total.

Thanks for the comments.

• Scott

you did a fine job thus far tho. Had me fooled for a second. I can do simple stuff with js/dhtml but you took it extreme. gj.

BB Forumā€™s comments - might want to read the histeria Scott

:wink: They liked it when I posted it a while back.

kick ***ā€¦ loading was 4 seconds hereā€¦ :slight_smile: FireFox :+)

AWesome siteā€¦ This source, I need to take a lookā€¦ :slight_smile:

pretty impressive to be entirely done without any flash.

LoL, word got around quick that his site was posted here :slight_smile:

Also, when I got home and checked the site again it loaded in about 5 seconds, must have been the funky networking or traffic.

Still yet, beautiful for an HTML site

@bombing
No, I got the site from Styleboost.

oh ok, I donā€™t remember where I got it, maybe a css siteā€¦

nice one for a non-flash page

but some things are displayed wrong in firefox :frowning:

Iā€™m using firefox and I didnā€™t notice any mistakes, of course I didnā€™t try ie so I have no comparisonā€¦

good work by the guy. It loaded like a normal site on my system. I can tell u we dont have the best of connections. Great work

never knew you could do something link that without flash, im still amazed.

finally a cool site that doesnt take an hour to load on my crappy dialup!

/jumps out of lerkness
WHOAā€¦
/jumps back into lerkness

Im impressed.

good stuff, but you can ā€œpry the flash from my cold dead handsā€, I could never script that much, that goodā€¦Impressive

Seriously --> what the crap!

What is the world coming to anyways?

Whoooaaaagh!!! u guys know how hard that is to do ! RES)PEK to Scott. a few bugs on Mozilla but dudes got some DHTML skillz

yepā€¦ I know

Word down in Yugoslavia-Town is that he types with is Adamā€™s Apple instead of with his hands.

That just makes him more impressive.

Duuudddee, thatā€™s alotta work for what it is really. I think using flash would be ample for the site, and I think maybe it would be compatible with the same amount if not more browsers.

Impressive design anyway! :wink:

That site was ok.