_global assignment

Im trying to use global variables right now for fields of different things in my game. I declare one global variable on the first frame of my movie and then assign that name to a text box for the user’s name. Then on the next frame I have a movieclip with a dynamic text box in it which is of the same variable name, yet that text box won’t display the user name. I did a trace within this movie clip and the variable im using returns nothing. Why might this be? Are there any common mistakes when it comes to global variables.

*Originally posted by riveroaks *
**I declare one global variable on the first frame of my movie and then assign that name to a text box for the user’s name. **
What do you mean by that? That you name your textbox after the global variable?

it means that in the actions panel i declare something like this:

_global.myVariable = "";

and then i enter “myVariable” into the variable slot in the textbox’s properties

I don’t think it’s a good idea. You should separate them

_global.myVar = "pomegranate is wonderful";

myTF.text = _global.myVar;

ok that brings up one more question…when i change a global variable do i need to reference it as _global.myVar = whatever or do i just say myVar = whatever?

when declareing it you use

_global.myVar = "whatever";

after that just use

myVar = "whatever";

:wink:

My advice would be to use _globals sparingly. The previous post should say it all ^. Once you start getting global happy, you’re bound to overwrite a local variable with a global or vice versa. The only time i would see fit to use globals is when your movie contains multiple scences, but that’s JMO. I just got really acustomed to using relative paths. Even absoulte paths are better than globals… sometimes.

Norie’s right :slight_smile: http://www.kirupa.com/developer/actionscript/tricks/global.htm