Adding to a Variable

Wow, I thought I knew Flash until I decided to learn ActionScript. Now even the most basic things are taking me forever to learn. So I apologize for my newbieness, I’m really smart, I promise!

Anyways, here’s my easy question of the day. I have a variable i that I’m setting to 5. i = 5. Simple enough, I have a dynamic box on the screen so I know that’s working.

On the same screen, I have a button, that when you click it, it should do the function i = i + 1. I know this isn’t working because when I click it, the number on the screen doesn’t change.

Also I have a second button that is a collection of if/else if statements. Basically, if i=1, goto 10, else if i<1, goto 40, else if i>1, goto 40. I know that since I’m setting the initial value of i to 5, it’s impossible for i to be equal to 1. Yet every time I click this button, I goto 10 even though i doesn’t equal to 1.

Can anyone help out on these two problems? Am I not using the variable i correctly here?

After mucking with my code on the button that increments the i variable, I figured out that the button is indeed working, just the screen wasn’t refreshing. Anyways, now that I know that’s working, I know my problem is something with the if then statement I’m working with.

Here’s the exact code I’m working with that’s not working for me:

on (release) {
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp if (i = 1) {
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp gotoAndPlay (10);
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp } else if (i > 1) {
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp gotoAndPlay (40);
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp } else if (i < 1) {
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp gotoAndPlay (40);
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp }
}

Please help, it seems basic enough yet for some reason, even though i isn’t each to 1, I’m always going to frame 10!!!

Ah ha, so it’s supposed to be i == 1 and not i = 1 in the if then statement. Don’t you feel smart when you solve problems on your own? Too bad that took up 3 hours of my afternoon. Thanks anyways for the help, I’m sure I’ll be back later for more help.

welcome to the boards. Sorry I didn’t catch this post sooner. I was busy with my projects. Again, welcome.