Backing up your Flash SharedObjects [AS3, CS4]

One of the things that really annoys me when I’m playing flash games online is that if I don’t want my browser to delete the save data, I have to navigate to the SharedObjects folder and find the .sol file manually. So I created some simple code to give the user the option to save a backup copy of their save file to their computer, and then load it later.

Basically I’m just converting the SharedObject into a ByteArray and having the user save it to their computer. Instant .sol file

http://forgedmind.webs.com/Source%20files/FlashSaving.zip

there’s a couple issues and one thing I should mention. First, I put it in a zip file because there is a timeline based example and a class based example, so it made sense to just zip it all together.
(I also thought i would save time and server space if i linked to the uploaded file on my site, if this is a problem, I can attach it to my post)
The first issue is that the buttons for saving and loading aren’t marked (but if you look at the dialog boxes you shouldn’t have a problem figuring out which one you clicked). I advise you to preview the fla in the IDE because I used trace statements to show that it was working.

The other issue is that the user can save the file with whatever extension they want. technically this should be limited to .sol but I’m not sure if I can or not, and I was purely focused on if this would actually work or not.