Bitmap grab of lower layers? Image transformations of stage?

Hi,

I’m trying to do something which I’m not sure is possible in AS3. If anyone has any answers/suggestions I’d love to hear them. Thanks!

Basically, I have a number of display objects drawing to the stage, including bitmaps, graphics/shapes, and text. What I want to do is put a layer on top of this that “grabs” or copies the image resulting from all the rendered objects below it.

That is, I want to get a bitmap object that contains an image of the all the rendered objects beneath it in the display list. Consider it as taking a screen grab of the stage.

The ultimate goal is to be able to then apply transformations on this bitmap, giving the appearance of transforming all the objects that draw under it.

Is there a way to get such a bitmap? Or if not, is there a way to apply an image transformation (e.g. rotation, etc.) to the stage after a bunch of objects are drawn onto it?

Note: I am programming AS3 directly and compiling with the Flex command line tools; I don’t have the Flash development environment.

Thanks!

• Tim