Can you make copies of ANY dvd?

People here at work are considering going in on a DVD copier - but can they make copies of all movies, or are there problems involved?

You mean copies of actual movies or your own ? If it’s the first time then of course there are infringements to the law…

I’m not worried about the law - i was just wondering if there was something on the DVD that wont physically allow you to make a copy of it.

you cant copy all movies since the dvd-r is 4.7 gigs and movies are dual layer dvds which hold 9gigs if they plan on getting a dvd-r make sure you puchase a dual format dvd-r/+r/+rw and if you got the cash get a dual layer dvd-r which ca make copies of 9 gig dvds.

And yes you can copy dvd movies and whatnot but you have to either rip or downsample the quality on them which is not noticeable unless your a enthusiast freak but you can make full copies of movies with menus and special feature on a dvd-r thats holds 4.7 gigs

*Originally posted by BigSilly *
**I’m not worried about the law - i was just wondering if there was something on the DVD that wont physically allow you to make a copy of it. **
Yeah, most DVDs these days are encrypted with something called CSS. you’ll need some programs to decrypt that in order to copy it. Once you do get that DVD write of yours, head over here:

1. Decrypts your DVDs
  2. Compresses it so a movie can fit on a standard 4.7GB DVD+/-R/RW
  3. best of all…free

I jus rip the DVD, then whrite it back on a DVD cd.