Compaq Presario -- CD Drives gone!

Hello everybody :slight_smile:

I need help with a computer problem again, I’m afraid. This time it involves my CD and DVD drive. They work one time I start my computer, and another time they don’t. It’s totally random and I don’t know what to do about it.

When booting the computer (Compaq Presario 5000 Series), a screen with the compaq logo comes up instead of the regular boot text (231324 RAM OK, IDE 1 MAster DVD Device … and so on). I noticed that everytime the drives don’t work anymore after a reboot, this message is displayed right after the screen with the compaq logo has gone:

The following configuration(s) have been automatically updated:
Disk1[40.0GB]

This message only appears at the boot at which the drives don’t work anymore. Sometimes, it displays this message before the one above:

The following configuration(s) have been automatically updated:
Disk1[40.0GB], Drive1[CD], Drive2[DVD]

But after this, it places the one with only Disk1 right after, so it doesn’t make any difference.

Another weird thing is that sometimes, without displaying either of these messages, the drives suddenly DO work. Just like that. And when I reboot, the message displays and they’re gone again. Does anybody know what to do about this ? I suppose I need to disable this auto-configuration and make the computer detect both drives, but I have no idea how one would achieve that. Any help at all apprecitaed :slight_smile: