Complicated - Frames and new images

The pain I feel when I sit down is caused by the site I am working on. If anyone can help me I will be very grateful.

They want to use frames and I know how to do that but they want an image in the top frame to change depending on which link they click on. For the life of me I can’t figure out how to have the static top frame window show a new picture depending on what page they’re on.

http://www.cnbohio.com is a good example of what I’m trying to do.

FRAMES ARE EVIL! It would be so much easier to do that without frames, but I guess if they want frames, they will get frames.

When you target _top you are targeting your main frameset so this will open up your link in the window as if it were a regular page, it will not open it in a frame.

Now, let’s see here…how can we fix your little problem.

Do you mind if I ponder on this for a little bit? I will get back to this as soon as possible.

Ponder all you want… =) I will just put Tool on the stereo and relax for a bit.

What it looks like to me that they did on that bank site, is they did things the hard way (well not so hard, just tedious).

What they did was actually create different pages for the top frames for each section. Because if you notice, not only does the one image change, but the button you clicked is also set to a different image.

Then they created different pages for the bottom sections.

Ok, that makes up both the top and bottom frames right?

So now what they do is they target _top and load a .html page that has the frameset settings that load those 2 seperate pages. It is actually a very clever method, but it will take a lot of pages.

Did that make sense?

PS: Tool is great :slight_smile:

Ok, i know this doesnt help you at all, but since our friend lost here has explained it all somewhat entirely i just had to add one last comment: Tool!!! Poser nu-metal!!! Sigh, cant stand any more of that. You should really try out some REAL metal: Blind Guardian, Rage, Grave Digger, Rhapsody, Avantasia!!!

Tool has been around for as long as I can remember (I actually don’t even remember when I started listening to them, that is how long ago it was, I think I was like 7 or 8), so to me they aren’t posers and I don’t even really consider them nu metal entirely.

Everyone has their own taste in music, we like tool, and you suck (:P), so it evens out…haha :slight_smile:

Just messing with you :evil:

Yeah, Tool’s been around for awhile. :slight_smile: They have at least 4 or 5 albums out but… as for my question I did figure out another way to do it besides creating a frames page for each page. Did I mention I hate frames?

I have an ‘onmouseover’ event for each button that makes it ‘glow’ when the user puts their mouse on it and then I put an ‘onclick’ event on the button that changes the slice that has the banner in it.

So it actually changes the banner picture before the link puts the user on the new page but hey… at least I don’t have to create all those frames pages. :rambo:

Yeah, that was going to be my first suggestion, but when you sent me that link I figured you wanted it to be like the same way they did it :slight_smile: Well, that and I didn’t feel like creating a page with frames just to test and see if the other method would work :stuck_out_tongue: