Counting in Hexadecimal

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://www.kirupa.com/hodgepodge/counting_hexadecimal.htm

Yes, while the original version of this article was posted in November 2014, I decided to re-write it. Not quite sure why, but it was a fun thing to spend some time doing :stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe it was just a mis-type but the 1492 example has this line:

14 / 19 = 1 remainder 4

where 19 should really be 10.

Good catch! Just fixed it. I blame fat fingers! :slight_smile:

That is probably it. The “9” and “0” are awfully close on the keyboard.

1 Like

The right hand assign 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,a,b,c,d,e,f to the knuckle joints and the tips to all but the thumb acting as a place holder for 0,1.
65536 to base 16 ==> [65]536/16 = 4 (touch index finger tip) ==> [153]6/16 = 9 (touch middle finger knuckle) ==> 96/16 = 6(touch middle finger tip) ==> 3 calculations. Represent 3 digitally using thumb as 1, pointer as 2, middle as 4, ring as 8, pinky as 16. 3 calculations means 3 placeholders. Slide thumb from 9 to the 10. 10*100 = 1000 /// 42 to base 16 ==> 42/16 = 2 remainder 6. Place thumb on the base 16 two placeholder(pointer knuckle). Remainder is 6. go base-2. Two calculations. Slide thumb 2 to left touching base-16 A place holder. Answer is 2A. I think this is using ones’ hand as a logarithmic slide rule. After reading your explanation I thought to myself ‘that’s the long way’ and came up with this. I have been counting on my fingers digitally and hexadecimmaly now for a couple of weeks because I thought it would be nice to think in base-2 and base-16 along with base-10. It has been nice. If i am using my fingers mathematically incorrectly please inform me and I will make adjustment to make it right.
Regards, Jeff