Difference between Flash and Flex generated SWF?

[COLOR=#000000][COLOR=#2f2928][FONT=verdana]Hey there, please bear with me while I try to explain this clearly… also, if this is posted in the incorrect please, please point me in the right direction. [/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000][COLOR=#2f2928][FONT=verdana]I have a working add-on for an online world called There. It is what’s called a compass replacement, and its written in AS2/Flash CS4. It works pretty well, however for a variety of reasons I want to move the project to AS3/Flex. Doing the conversion will require a near-complete rewrite, of course.[/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000][COLOR=#2f2928][FONT=verdana]Before I got started on the rewrite, I wanted to investigate using the Flex framework to make things more visually appealing. However, I can’t really get that far with that becaue I hit another roadblock, even when trying to make a pure AS project in Flex. Here’s the problem I’m having… I have tried many things and I’ll just boil this down to the crux of the issue. [/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000][COLOR=#2f2928][FONT=verdana]I am experiencing a long pause when starting my app in There. It doesn’t matter if it’s a Flex Project or an ActionScript project in Flex. I tried both to experiment. Either one will give a long pause, freeze the There client, and sometimes crash There. I think the pause itself may be the cause of the There crash, as it doesn’t always crash the There client. I can take the same code, bring it over to Flash, compile it, and it starts up with no delay. Of course that means I won’t be able to use Flex, but if forced to thats what I’m going to have to do. So basically, my question is… how does the SWF file generated by a ACTIONSCRIPT PROJECT’s SWF file made in Flex differ from the one compiled in Flash? Is there anything I can do, any compiler settings to try to see if I can get it to work again? I do know that There uses the standard Flash player, as when I check my There version in my AS2 (working) compass, it reports the latest version. Obviously this is a major roadblock to me getting on with the main development work, and I would prefer to develop in Flex if possible, but will go to straight AS3 code (in Flash) if necessary. I would even prefer to do AS3 coding in Flex, but that’s the problem, since nothing I compile in Flex will work right in There. I have tried seeing if using a preloader would make a difference, it did not. Any insight is sincerely appreciated. [/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000][COLOR=#2f2928][FONT=verdana]Thanks so much. [/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][COLOR=#2f2928][FONT=verdana]Steve[/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR]