Difficulties with publishing

Hello,

I’m creating a website with a weaterwidget in flash as3.
I’ve got 2 files, something.swf and something.as
The codes that i used are from a tutorial, so I still don’t understand how everything works.
something.as is loaded as document class in the maintimeline of something.swf
Everything what happens in the weather outside should appear in my .swf.
And it works fine when I test my movie, but when I publish it on the internet, it seems that it cached a file.
For instance; I changed a little bit of code in something.as so it should rain in somehting.swf.
But when I publish it, it still is the same as before. So no rain.
Even when I delete my browsing history etc it’s the same.
Even when I delete something.as from the server it’s the same.
Even when I delete everything from the server and upload it again… it’s the same.
What am I doing wrong, I need some help…

Kind regards.

When you say “publish” do you mean you’re recreating your SWF too? Or just pushing files to the server after changing the AS file? I ask because the AS file does not need to be on the server. When you create your SWF, the AS file gets compiled and turned into bits and bytes that get crammed into the SWF so that everything is self-contained. So the only thing you need on your server to get it to work (barring any other dependencies) is the SWF and an HTML file to put it in.

Now, with this in mind, it means that if you do change something in your AS file, you have to publish (from Flash) to recreate the SWF so that the changes of the AS get re-crammed into the SWF again. Then that updated SWF needs to be uploaded to the server.

If your problem is a cache thing, you can try deleting the file SWF on the server without replacing it and reloading the page to see if it still works. If so, try to clear out your cache again (not history, but the browser cache) and see if you can get it to not show up, so you know the browser thinks there is no file. Then upload the updated SWF and try to get it to load that.

Thanks for your reply.
I deleted my AS file from the server and published the swf from flash.
Then I uploaded that swf to the server and hit refresh in my browser.
Nothing happened, so I thought maybe let’s try incognito mode.
That did the trick, but the problem is that this might be a caching problem then.
Any ideas how to solve that?

Normally I export my swf, what is the difference between that exporting and publishing?

Hmm, that only worked once…
Now I’m stuck again with the same type of weather.

I solved the problem.
There were some little lines of code missing, but that didn’t make any difference.
It’s just a little improvement.
The thing that did the trick was adding:

META HTTP-EQUIV=“CACHE-CONTROL” CONTENT=“NO-CACHE” in the html-page.
So it was indeed a caching-problem.
Anyhow, thanks for the help!

1 Like