Discussing the Future of AI

I had a chance to chat with walkthroughwonder aka Edwin…aka vts31 for a lot of you long time forumers :stuck_out_tongue:

I cross shared this on my newsletter, which if you haven’t subscribed to yet, you…totally should! :partying_face:

Cheers,
Kirupa :zap:

3 Likes

This is a very interesting question, and one that I’ve been thinking about for some time. In the past few years, we have seen an explosion of interest in artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML), with many articles appearing in the popular press describing what AI can do today — from speech recognition to self-driving cars — and how it will change our lives tomorrow.

In this article, I want to discuss three things:

1. What is AI?
  2. How does AI work?
  3. Where are we going with AI? .

1) What is AI?
Four significant revolutions that completely altered this world have occurred. The debut of the first steam engine in 1784 sparked the first revolution. The second revolution of 1870 saw the invention of electricity. The third occurred in 1969, the year that the term “information technology” was first used. The fourth is the current revolution in artificial intelligence that we are going through. More innovations are in store for the future of AI, bringing us one step closer to an unmatched future.

The following subjects will be covered in this article:

1. Development of AI
  2. the start of the revolution in AI
  3. Recent Advances in AI
  4. AI’s potential

How does AI work? ?
What is the difference between a machine and an algorithm? A machine is a physical thing that can be built. An algorithm is a set of instructions for making something. For example, you could build a machine to make shoes or another one to play chess. You could also write an algorithm for playing chess (e.g., “when I move my rook from here to there, then do this”). The same applies to machines that learn: they are algorithms in action.

3) Where are we going with AI? .
I was thinking about the future of AI, and I realized that we have a lot of different ways to think about it. One way is to say what’s possible with current technology; another is to ask what’s likely in the near future; and a third is to ask what should be done now.

The first two are very useful, but they aren’t necessarily going to lead us into disaster. The third one might well do so—and right at this moment! If we don’t start planning for it now, then when?

Brack - this is interesting copy/paste spam, but there is no link here? :slight_smile: