|dodge and burn abstract|

I agree… eventually he will come back and discuss it a little more but he’s only a semi regular poster… he’s got all sorts of things going on in other places on the web… guess we just have to wait.

At least part of it, I can see was done using smudge to draw something outwards and then careful dodging and burning to brighten some, and darken others. This give the feel of 3D because the object takes on depth. I guess you already know that… but it’s all I can think of that helps with regard to how he did what he did.

As for importing and exporting… well you get used to that when you have cool features in one program that doesn’t have a lot of import options

painter6.0… my only complaint about the program… what the @$#^ were they thinking not including a png import???

Yes, the smudge tool did show through a lot on Edwins image. I used it in the lower left corner of mine.

What is the difference between Painter 6 and Photoshop? Do you know? (other than PNG support)

sure… painter is all about the effect of light on texture.

photoshop is pretty much about manipulating images… rather than creating them from scratch. I guess when you’re edwin you can create stuff like that from scratch…

I guess it’s hard to describe. Edwin has painter6.0 and probebly could do a better job than I… but once you use the pencil tool in painter (with a tablet) you realize exactly how powerful a program it is. It often get’s overshadowed by programs like photoshop… but you know Coral is at least as famous as adobe.

With pressure sensitivity (which you get from a tablet) painter throws the ability to create depth and texture in general to your hand. I don’t think that photoshop takes as much advantage of the pressure sensitivity features on a tablet. It was designed by a mouse user… that’s for sure.

I am a mouse user for sure. I love my photoshop. I create most of my images from scratch in Photoshop. If you check out my website (in my profile) you can view my Portfolio section and check out all of my Photoshop work. All of it was created from scratch with images imported into it for effect.

I know of Corel, but I have never used it. I think it looks too complicated…haha. Fun none-the-less.

Painter 6 sounds great. I so want a Wacom tablet. I have no money to get one though. I would love to draw with my hand instead of a mouse. I am good at both though (not to sound conceited, but I am not going to put myself down either).

no problem… there’s conceit (I’m better than everyone else there is) and then there is giving oneself credit where it’s due. I love what I’ve seen so far from you. I’ll be sure to check out your site soon. Been meaning to make rounds and I always hit the mod’s sites first.

I would suggest looking on ebay for a tablet. They are not too bad from there.

Sounds cool. I usually don’t trust e-bay, but I know people that have gotten things from e-bay that were in good condition, so I think I might decide to trust it if I find something I like.

I need to make my rounds around peoples sites too. Maybe I should start with Kirupas…haha…just kidding. By the way, I finished my 2 tutorials on easing, do you know how I can submit them to kirupa without posting them in a thread? You can PM me since I don’t want to go off track on this thread.

Anyways, I think soon enough I will try my hand at another picture with that effect. Maybe tomorrow.

Ok, said I was going to do more with the smudge tool. This isn’t really what I wanted to come up with, but halfway through I got ideas and I sidetracked myself. I think it is pretty spiffy. This actually used no filters at all. Not even gaussian blur. Only the paintbrush tool, the smudge tool, and the dodge and burn tools. I also used some layer styles for the bubbles. Layer styles aren’t filters:P

that looks great

Thanks. Still basic compared to Edwins though…haha:)

Edwins thing is really good, but where he gains in photoshop, you make up in flash

heheh its temptin to post my flah winks at david dang u guys are really seriously trying to figure this out !!..im shocked u guys have such interest :slight_smile: For that image i used a lot of 1px size brushes…then i used the dodge yool set on highlight. the trick is to use the right type of blue and to not over do it. another way i achieved it was by using some layer blendin…i forget which exactly i dont have the PSD with me at this time ( another HD). The star looking things i just made like a dot with the airbrush…then used dodge on the inside then smudged the sides. Oh and for the main shapes i used like rough brushes…they are in default but like towards the bottom. same for the burns also. haha i made another one using same techniques…thought u guys might like another challange…

-Edwin

oh yeah… im working on this intro for a company…barely started… any comments? www.edwinrosero.com/client/edwin.htm

That is just evil edwin…EVIL I TELL YOU! EVIL!!!

NICE!!!

and thanks for the explination. I haven’t been able to duplicate it… but at least I know I’m working along the same lines as you did. :slight_smile:

You ready for the challenge david…haha.

Sure… what kind of challenge you got for me? :wink:

If I only knew man…if I only knew.

Perhaps we can try and make something like above now? Or how about just making any cool image without using any Filters at all, not even gaussian blur.

haha that sound wickid. and no wacoms either…atleast not untill i get one. lol

Yeah, I don’t have one either.

if thats all you’ve done to do the other one, thats insane. as for this one, why? why do you torment us so?

edwin, you never cease to amaze me.

oh yeah, nice vanilla sky quote. :slight_smile: