|dodge and burn abstract|

this guy obline was having problems with dodge and burn so i amde this to illustrate what u could do with OUT any 3d programs. all u need is a mouse. photoshop and 30min of work…the result…

I hate you. LOL nah sorry, its just that your REALY REAL good man. I’m ok not bad not the best ie: you. Any way i just want to know if YOU have any tutorials?? If not you should make some if so please could you do something to alow me to read :slight_smile: ill ask even nicer if you want.

HEHE nah sorry but truly your good realy good. Tutorials.

Wow! I’d definitely like to know how you did that too, Edwin. Can you do that if you have 2 left hands?

pom :asian:

Only if you’re left handed :stuck_out_tongue:

There ought to be a law against being this **** good, you know. :slight_smile:

:oHOLY SH**!:o Thats crazy, pure photoshop you say?

I’d LOVE a tutorial on how to do something like that, i’ve been lookin every where and only findin stuff on tools :-\

*Originally posted by vts31 *
**all u need is a mouse. photoshop and 30min of work…the result…

so that’s just a bunch of filters, and the dodge and burn?

i didnt use any filters. its a digi painting. the onnly useful filter is gaussian blur and invert for masks.

how…?

yeah… fill us in VTS. I tried doing something the other day and though it looks good (I will post it… I just forgot to upload) it isn’t anything like what you were doing. Give us some examples step by step of how you produced such a beutiful piece.

*Originally posted by vts31 *
**i didnt use any filters. its a digi painting. the onnly useful filter is gaussian blur

eh…digi painting? wat program?

gaussian blur filter…that means that image is actually a mix of pictures on diff layers? (i’m supposing digi painting is digital painting)

Well this is what I came up with using a variety of programs… I did a lot of burn and dodge.

nothing quite like our masters here, but I’m just a beginner with photoshop and painter.

Ok, I have been using Photoshop for a while now, and I have NO CLUE whatsoever how Edwin did that first picture without any filters other than gaussian blur.

I tried my hand at something without using any filters other than guassian blur and my result is NOTHING like Edwins. See for yourself… I would love to know how Edwin did that!

PS: I did not use lens flare, I used mock lens flares with the flare brush and circles. The only filter used was Gaussian Blur.

You know… no one said anything about my picture… I’m not looking for praise at all… in fact I see a couple of major flaws with it that I will be reworking… but constructive critisism is always welcome by me. Can anyone give me any more suggestions on how to improve it?

(I hope it’s not just a matter of people doing the old “nothing good to say, don’t say anything at all” thing.

I guess no one gave much feedback on yours either beta… if it helps. I think it looks quite cool. Basic compared to Vts, but still cool. (and hell… all of our stuff looks basic next to his:))

I noticed you changed yours david. I actually liked it the way it was before. It is still good though. You are also the one that inspired me to create something.

As for constructive criticism, your shapes are a little choppy, if you smoothed them out I think it would look sweet.

Of course ours look basic compared to Edwins. He is the master of all art right? I still can’t figure out how he possibly did some of those effects without filters. I have been using Photoshop for a while now, and I can see ways to do some of those effects WITH filters (and can do some of them), but not without them.

Hmm, I really hope he replies back and lets us know.

You know… I figured out the error I made on that and it’s really obvious. (you liked it better before huh? I thought there was too much open space. Maybe I’ll open it back up again.) The error with the chopiness was this.

I created the ship in swift3d which will allow me to export in a number of ways. My best option really is to export as an swf and then take it into Flash, use flash to “export image”. I origionaly exported it as a jpg because though I could have done png, my painter6.0 program doesn’t import png’s… I was thinking that I’d be doing most of my work in painter and therefore would only be using Photoshop for finalizing stuff.

Anyway… to make a long story short… I forgot that painter 6.0 will open and manipulate photoshop docs and save as photoshop docs. Hence… anything that I import from Flash I should be taking into photoshop first, as the least compression possible… then from there I can use my other programs.

If you’re wondering why I have to take it into Flash and then export the image from there, you’ve probebly never tried to export from swift3d. The “ai” file type is really the best option, but you lose a good deal of the nice Flash style gradients that swift creates in the first place.

Anyway… tomarrow I’m rebuilding the ship so that it has more of a ship like structure, changing the lighting angle, and trying the whole thing again. Once I had the ship built the actual work in painter and photoshop took no time at all… so I think if I can just preserve more quality from vector to raster I should be ok. (need to play with that smoothing setting more too… I’m still not sure what effect it has active or deactivated.)

you know… I always end up going out of order with my programs which is why my stuff always lacks a bit in the quality department. Knowing your tools, what they are capable of, and how they interact with each other is the A number 1 top priority in a web designers life.

I’ll get it… it’s coming along.

Of course ours look basic compared to Edwins. He is the master of all art right? I still can’t figure out how he possibly did some of those effects without filters. I have been using Photoshop for a while now, and I can see ways to do some of those effects WITH filters (and can do some of them), but not without them.

you know… I could almost do that in painter… I’m just not sure how to do it in photoshop. Tomarrow I’ll just do a complex pattern energy flux in painter and see how it comes out. Mostly when it came to my shot I didn’t want to just duplicate, in my own style, Vts’ peice… rather I wanted to see what dodge and burn would do for me in one of my peices…

(boy you know the board is slow when you have the last three posts in the same thread and they are long and tedious to read. Also really bad when each one begins with “you know” :))

The amount of open space in your first version was a bit excessive, but I felt that your whole image was smoother. You could have added around it.

It is good that you found out how to smooth it out (hopefully), I don’t have/use swift3D so I don’t know how to export in it. I only used Photoshop for mine. That is the only art program I have besides Flash(can be considered one right?) and MS Paint (which we all know sucks).

I would have to have to import and export into so many different programs. I don’t think I have the patience for that…haha. Actually I don’t think my computer can take it.

The only tools I know how to work together are my Photoshop, my Flash and my HTML/Javascript skills. So I think (hope) I fulfilled the top priority in a web designers life because these are the only tools I got.

Haha, the board has been dead all night tonigh. It was just when you got on that it picked up. And that is only because you are replying to my posts and vice versa.

I already know what Dodge and Burn do and I have used them plenty of times. I just want to know how to use them to create the effect Edwin made. I don’t want to duplicate his image, my curiousity just has the best of me on this one. It is driving me nuts that I don’t know how he did that!