Dynamic text won't load

I can not, for the LIFE of me, figure out why I have so much trouble with such a simple concept.

I have a dynamic text box on my main time line with an instance name (NOT var name) of MCtxt. My textfiles have the variable of txtMC. I have a movie clip with a little ease bar on it. When the user mouses over the movie clip the ease bar goes to the mouse and, once it comes close to stopping, it triggers some AS to capture a number. Then I have a switch statement that does some stuff depending on the number. So here is the code I have on that movie clip:

[AS]
onClipEvent (enterFrame){
if (_global.stopped == true){
//trace(_global.j);
function textLoad(filename) {
loadText = new LoadVars();
loadText.load(filename);
loadText.onLoad = function(success) {
if (success) {
_root.MCtxt.text = this.txtMC;
}
};
}
switch(j){
case 0:
//unloadMovieNum(10);
_root.date.text = “1900-1910”;
_root.textLoad(“documents/1900.txt”);
trace (success)
break;
}
[/AS]
etc.

Tracing j returns the correct number and the _root.date.text works just fine. But the text is not loading and the trace on the success returns an undefined. I have tried moving all of the loading text code inside the case but it doesn’t work there either. All variable names are correct (quadruple checked, at least) so it’s gotta be something with my code. It’s probably something really simple and stupid but it’s frustrating me to no end. :hair:

What the hoo hey?