Easter eggs

I’m looking for ways to include “easter eggs” in a flash file. (Easter eggs are little hidden things in DVD menus or games that aren’t obvious unless you look very carefully or enter a secret code).

I came up with two ideas, but there are probably many more. The first way is clicking on hotspots that aren’t obvious buttons, and those launch the special feature.

The other method is a bit more complicated and I’m not sure if it’s possible. I’d like to have the user type in a code, kind of like how a game cheat code works. The thing is, there wouldn’t be a text field because that would be too obvious. Is there a way to do this?

I know of an area of various games in Flash MX…these games include

Breakthrough
Gold Rush
Asteroid Blaster
Lunar Lander
Gary’s Bike Jump
Flash Blox

To acces them go to Help/About. Under the X in MX, well it isn’t under it, it is more in the “crotch-like” area of the X keep clicking around there is a hidden button that is 1px by 1px and when you click it your screen will turn fully blue then those 6 game titles will show. It may take a while for the screen to load.

Have fun:)

PS - Yes, I do have too much time on my hands, but I previously knew that most eggs are found in the Help/About section.

i started this thread with the intention of it being a reply to this post.

maybe you’ll find it useful. sorry bout that.

matt

That really isn’t an easter egg. An “easter egg” in a program is a secret that can be activated by holding a certain sequence of keys and/or pressing a certain spot in the program to make it to do something.

The only easter egg I have found thus far in MX is the games one which I posted earlier. I didn’t really look for more in MX. I did find about 3 or 4 in Photoshop though:) Different programs have a different amount of secrets.

It is definitely fun trying to find them, and even more fun when you find one.

easter eggs or not but I think that a good “secret place” is like when you double-click a regular flash button :-\ :slight_smile:
(of course I mean that 1 click leads to for example “portfolio” and double click leads to the secret stuff)

Not an egg, but definitely a cool thing. On a previous version of my site I had a little flash button hidden in there that did that:)

Hey syko, I just noticed you can click and drag your mask around. I “threw” it and it made sounds when it hit the wall. It did get stuck on one of the sides though. It kept making the sound over and over and over and I couldn’t move it…HAHA.

if u use a text field with not border or background is invisible to the user anyway!
But can the user see the text they type? I’d like it to be invisible.

(of course I mean that 1 click leads to for example “portfolio” and double click leads to the secret stuff)
Is there a way to set up something for a triple click?

A little background: My current project involves creating a flash file based on an UGLY design that my design team hates (and had nothing to do with). I want to throw in something that only we would see, but obviously it HAS to be something you could only get to if you knew it was there.

ha i really shouldn’t reply to this anymore, because i’m probably going to say something dumb again. but oh well. it’s good to make fun of yourself every once in a while.

so anyways, if the “UGLY” design has a flat colored background, you could always just set the text color the same as the background, hence making it invisible. not necessarily the smartest way to do it, but nevertheless it might work…

but of course that’s assuming that you don’t have a crazy textured background or something.

i don’t know. i’m braindead today so you might as weel disregard everything i say.

matt =)

by the way lostinbeta: you signature is real freakin cool. thumbs up.

We are all allowed to have braindead days:) It happens.

http://www.flashstar.de/tutlist/index.php3?bereich=fsmxinterakt

If you can read German you can check out this site and click on Doppleclick. You can probably edit the actionscript to do 3 clicks instead of 2. If you don’t read German, the AS looks like this…

movieclip.prototype.doubleClick = function(speed) {        
        if ( getTimer()-oldTime <= speed ) return(true);
        oldTime=getTimer();
        clickcount=0;        
}

movieclip.prototype.test = function () {
        if(getTimer()-timestamp>=250 && clickcount==1){  
			trace("singleclick");
			textArea = "Singleclick";
            clickcount=0;
        }        
}

setInterval(test, 10);

Button.prototype.onPress = function() {
        if(doubleClick(250)) {
			trace("Double Click"); 
			textArea = "Double Click";			
		};        
        clickcount++;
        timestamp=getTimer();        
}

quote:

Is there a way to set up something for a triple click?

of course there is (don’t ask me how) :slight_smile:

Hey syko, I just noticed you can click and drag your mask around. I “threw” it and it made sounds when it hit the wall. It did get stuck on one of the sides though. It kept making the sound over and over and over and I couldn’t move it…HAHA.

LOL I just discovered that! If you drag it against the edge and let it go it just goes nuts! =) lol
note:): I disabled the sound if the circle starts moving on it’s own. that could drive many people grazy!=)

It is good that you disabled the sound when it moves on it’s own. I think that would drive me up the wall.

Just a few things:
Be sure that you don’t enable the hand cursor if you choose to use hidden buttons (just a hit frame will do).
The code idea is pretty neat. And it is doable without a textbox, using the onKeyDown event handler. It can even be a good opportunity to mess with listeners :slight_smile:

pom :asian:

Hey Ilyas, I know you can do it without a textbox, I just took the code from the file and decided to leave that in there since it changes a textbox to say wheter you double clicked or not. I figured it would be good to for testing out the code.