Firebird now "FireFox" 0.8 preview release available

Mozilla’s new lightweight browser Firefox (formerly known as Firebird) has reached a 0.8 release and is now available for download (preview release 0.8). You can download it here:

And read more about it from this press release from mozilla.org:
http://www.mozilla.org/press/mozilla-2004-02-09.html

Also note ThunderBird 0.5 has also been released.

What’s all those different browsers?
Should I be bothered to read up on the differences between Fire-whatever, Thunderbird, Netscape, Mozilla etc…?
Really, why, as 90-something% use IE anyway…?

because some people don’t like IE, and FireFox is growing.

Why pay attention to Macs?

Why pay attention to dial up?

Rev

Macs: I don’t. As I don’t do commercial webdesign.
Nice looking, stable so I heard (the one I used always locked up), but much too expensive and not enough software. But that’s another, beaten to death, discussion…

Dial-up: got rid of that beast a year ago, hopefully I’ll never have to use a modem again (except travelling…), but at least Flash allows you to sorta test-drive modem download, without the need of installing another soft…kinda…

But my question’s sense was another: why is there like 3 or 4 different fire-thunder-moz -scape things, is there any difference between these?
I know they are (supposed to be) very good, and it sux if MS stops offering free downloads of the next IE versions, that’ll probably be the time IE’s user % will start to really drop; still, the question was only supposed to mean: what are the differences between these?

Mozilla is the suite, with a mail app, browser, chat app(ChatZilla rocks! :D) and other things, while FireFox/bird is the standalone app.

They use the same engine though, so it’s reasonable to think that if it works in one, then it’ll work in the other :slight_smile:

thanks.
and thunderbird?
netscape? isn’t that moz’ also…?
is that different organisations, or why are there so many…?

As I said, asking coz I can’t be bothered to check it out, if someone cares to answer, cool, else, never mind, I won’t use them anyway :slight_smile:

Thunderbird is the standalone mail app.

Mozilla is simply the open-source version of Netscape. A while ago, when Netscape realized they simply couldn’t fight IE what with M$'s big monopoly thing ;), Netscape decided to release their engine as open source.

You oughta check them out, they’re great browsers :slight_smile:

if you use FireFox as it is now called, you get a bare bones browser. You can then add which extensions you will use, like context menu adds, a very nice calendar with shared capabilities, dictionary search, etc…

So you don’t have to be running thier mail prog, and chat prog, and ads, etc…

Rev

That sounds better.
Still, I only need one browser :slight_smile:

• Googlbar
    +Outlook
    +Trillian
    +…
    lol

*Originally posted by eyezberg *

• Googlbar
    +Outlook

+viruses if you miss a security update :stuck_out_tongue:

oops, forgot the “Express” there…
some blog called Outloook the “security hole” :slight_smile:

i use outlook…lol. i used to use Express but i thougth outlook was better? oh well, thats on my PC, i dont use it anyway lol.

both of them are terrible…

they’re both based on the IE engine, which is undoubtedly the most insecure, crappiest piece of bugware ever.

i use firebird (about to look at firefox!!?) best thing, use tab browsing, auto blocks popups, built in google search next to the address bar, plugins for chatzilla, calendar msn messenger!!! (also use thunderbird - mozilas standalone mail app)