Flash5 - dymamically importing images into movie clips

Flash5 - I’m trying to dymamically importing images into movie clips. I have about 100 thumbnails - and want to leave them in a folder on the server so that they can be switched out by a .php script.

I want to create a movie clip in Flash that will take in a pathway and an image file name - then go into that pathway and retrive the image for display.

Any suggesstions - ideas - links to tutorials - web sites?

thx.
w9

I’ve been trying to do that for a while… I don’t believe it is possible. The only thing that I can suggest is looking for tutorials on “shared libraries” and try to figure out exactly how they would be useful to you.
Basicaly what flash has is an “attach” command which drags objects from a library into the movie… then by having shared libraries, you can just load the elements you need at that time. The disadvantage of course is that all of your pics have to be imported into fla’s and then published out as swf’s. When you’re talking 200+ pics, you don’t want to have to do it this way.

Perhaps I’m wrong about this, but I don’t think that what you’re talking about is possible in flash.

do you have access to the server? if so, install this mod for php

opaque.net/ming/

the open source answer to dynamic flash content.

cheers.

Interesting… I’ve got to read up on Ming… is it a popular mod? or is it likely to take years to be put on the majority of servers?

i believe it’s being distributed with apache, but that’s not to say it’ll be installed on those servers. if you’re not managing your own box, better not to rely on it.

on the other hand, how many servers are running generator?