Does anyone know why if I use

on (press) {
_parent._parent.gotoAndPlay(19);
}

instead of

on (press) {
_parent._parent.gotoAndPlay(wdframe);
}

it will work? My labeled frame is two parent mc’s previous and it doesnt work when I call to it with the label?
I would really like to use the label so if I move my keyframes around I dont have to change a lot of code…

Thanks for any help

~~ Seretha :love:

on (press) {
_parent._parent.gotoAndPlay("wdframe");
}

check the spelling too.

btw, i hate frame label, but that’s JMO.

The double quotes make all the difference. Without them Flash is looking for the value of a variable, so you have to define the frame label in the gotoAndPlay as a string and put it in quotes.

Norie: You hate frame labels? Why? They allow for easier adjustment to frame positions without having to change your actionscript (like if you wanted to make a tween longer or shorter)

im not really sure WHY i hate them, i just do. Then again, i don’t do many tweens (motion or shape). I figure if i need to use a frame label, then i can probably just AS the effect. or i’ll do a tween and just make a rewind script to finish the rest, say for a button or something. There’s nothing wrong with frame labels… it’s just not my style. Same thing goes with scences, you’ll NEVER see me use scenes.

I hear ya on the scenes, scenes make me mad. But I think they are just something you learn to avoid as you adjust to using Flash. I used to use scenes all the time when I started, now I never use them.

Erm, sorry for thread hijacking…

:stuck_out_tongue:

errr yea, make sure you use quotes :wink:

jk

*Originally posted by Seretha Blaze *
**Does anyone know why if I use

on (press) {
_parent._parent.gotoAndPlay(19);
}

instead of

on (press) {
_parent._parent.gotoAndPlay(wdframe);
}

it will work? My labeled frame is two parent mc’s previous and it doesnt work when I call to it with the label?
I would really like to use the label so if I move my keyframes around I dont have to change a lot of code…

Thanks for any help

~~ Seretha :love: **

I never saw the point of frame label until I made a 10000+ frame movie then it was a bugger to find the right frame to go to

Thanks guys. It works great. Feel stupid for not realizing the obvious, but mainly glad its working.

:pleased:

~~ Seretha :love:

if you are going to use scenes, its good practice to use frame labels. If not, don’t worry about it. It does allow for easier movement, if you have to switch frames or something, you don’t have to recode anything. But then again using scenes isn’t the best practice, but there is a progression of what is best to do for a certain scernario