Golf's New No. 1: Vijay Singh!

I know this is week’s old news, but it’s pretty cool anyway. Vijay Singh overtook Tiger Woods to become the number 1 player in Golf:

Pick your metaphor – water running over a rock, wind ripping across a sand dune, the ocean washing up against the shore. Whatever the image, for the last three years Vijay Singh has been the unstoppable force of nature doggedly eroding golf’s seemingly immovable object: Tiger Woods and his No. 1 World Ranking. On Monday, Singh prevailed.

It was the third time this year that Singh has had a chance to surpass Woods, but late birdies at the PGA Championship and the NEC Invitational kept Woods decimal points ahead of his rival. This time, however, the 41-year-old Singh would not be denied.
size=1[/size]

:slight_smile:

Yeah i was watching im recently, he is really good, and seems so calm when he plays:)

Wow, koodos to him.

It’s always nice to see a main value in some branch being overthrown :bad:

:stuck_out_tongue:

The difference between VJ and TW is only a few points, so if Tiger were to win a few more tournaments, he will be back at no. 1 :stuck_out_tongue:

I think Tiger put it best when he said he doesn’t care about the rankings, he cares about winning and the rankings will follow suit.

He cares about endorsements too :stuck_out_tongue:

VJ bores the pants off me… come on Darren Clarke!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Lee Trevino is always a fun player to watch. He has reduced the number of games he plays though - he’s been in the PGA and now the Sr. PGA for a really long time after all :slight_smile:

Ryder Cup next week… lets hope the overly patriotic fans stay away and we see a fair contest…

i feel soory for moderate americans seeing some loudmouth idiots givin ya a bad rep

haha - they are playing somewhere in Michigan I think, so I would be surprised if we didn’t have the patriotic fans :stuck_out_tongue:

yeah, Detroit…

our little French maestro Tomas Levet is ‘gonna open a can of woopass’ (as some americans might say) :wink:

He just won the Bell Canadian Open. Mike Weir had a chance to finish him off on the last hole of his round, and the second playoff hole, but he missed both putts, and Vijay put the nail in the coffin on the third playoff hole.

Blast!!!

I read about that! VJ did shoot one of the lowest scores ever for 9 holes earlier in the tournament. It’s fairly rare to see someone of Indian descent doing well in a non-Cricket popular sport :slight_smile:

Fijian haatually… and hes of Sri Lankan decent :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m rooting for Chris Smith. Few people know about him, but he does exist, and he is from my home town.

I was aware he was from Fiji, but didn’t know about the Sri Lanka part. Well his name sounds Indianish - oh well lol :slight_smile:

I’ve always been a fan of Vij and I never really felt he received the recognition he deserved in the past however I’m dissappointed to see Weir drop the ball.

yeh singh does sound indian, but hes far too dark to be indian

Is Indianish a word?