Google Slides, Magic Mouse, Accidental Scrolling, and Slide Navigation

I don’t know how many of you fall into this category of both using Google Slides and the Magic Mouse, but one of the frustrating things is that even a slight slide up/down gesture on the mouse will cause Google Slides to navigate to the next slide. Given that there is no actual scroll wheel and the sliding is done on the same surface that you click from, this slide navigation happens all the time.

There isn’t a fix from Google on this, but this Chrome extensions solves it: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/stop-slide-scrolling-in-g/cmpmjbfhpecollipohbphhgbohleeeon/related

Maybe this will save you hours of frustration (spread out across several months!) haha.

Cheers,
Kirupa

3 Likes

Looking at the forum dashboard, this topic is surprisingly very popular :confused:

Thank you Very Much! Just what I need!

1 Like

Glad it helped! Just out of curiosity @RodrigoAguilar , did you google for this and land on this topic? :slight_smile:

My problem is similar, but different.
I am creating a digital escape room for my 6th grade students to use. I had my daughter test it out, and she quickly discovered (by accident) that when she scrolled on her mouse pad, the slides advanced when they weren’t supposed to.
I finally discovered the Chrome extension mentioned in the thread, but that only prevents the slides from advancing when I’M presenting the Google Slides. I really need to prevent the slides from advancing when my students are viewing the presentation.
Is there a solution for this?
When I was in college in the late 90’s, I remember learning how to use HyperDocs. That’s basically the effect I’m going for, but I REALLY like how simple it is to design in Google Slides.
Thanks for any help!
Kevin

Hi @Kevin_Gill - when you say “viewing the presentation”, do you mean the editing mode like the following?

For advancing, what mouse/keyboard gestures are your students using?

Thanks,
Kirupa

@Kevin_Gill Hi! I’m also having the same problem with my calm rooms and virtual libraries. Did you ever find a fix ?

I’m having the same problem but with the mouse wheel.

THANK YOU! This interaction with a magic mouse drives me up the wall and down again. So glad I have a Chrome extension to solve it!

1 Like

Hi, I was SO excited to find your post, but it looks like that Chrome Extension is no longer working. I’ve tried to add it, but the button just changes to “Checking” and never does anything. I shut off my ad blocker just in case it had a popup or something, but do you have any ideas? This would save me SO much frustration with my Apple mouse too!!! Thanks

Interesting! It seems to be working for me. This is what I see when I go to “Manage Extensions” for this one:

Do you see something similar?

I found this thread as I was having the same issue but then found a solution, it might have been added more recently which is why everyone was having the issue. In Google Slides > Tools > Preferences > tick ‘Do not change slide focus on scroll’

2 Likes

This is huge! Thanks for sharing @hannah12079 :grinning: