Help a new guy set up server to use PHP's mail() function

I have been trying to get a flash email form to work, most info gathered from tutorials and posts found on these forums but with no success. Now I have only learnt about Apache Server and PHP in the past 2 days so Im alittle overwhelmed from all the info intake :puzzled:

Im using WinXP with the latest Apache HTTP server and PHP, both installed to defult settings following the manuals included. Submitting a Flash form does nothing, submitting a basic html form returns the following error:

Warning: mail(): “sendmail_from” not set in php.ini or custom “From:” header missing in c:\server\apache\htdocs\mail.php on line 6

I checked the php4.ini located in my Windows Directory and it’s current settings are:

[mail function]
; For Win32 only.
SMTP = localhost

; For Win32 only.
sendmail_from = actual email address here

I have used google to try and find a solution but it’s only confused me more. I came across “sendmail” quite alot but I see it’s not for windows. Do I need something similar to sendmail for windows? Im still confused as to what sendmail does.

Any help or advice or links that will help me out will be appreciated.

you can’t use mail() from your computer. You have to upload it to your server to use it. It has to do with STMPserver settings…