Help needed with photo gallery tutorial

Hello,
I have been playing with the photo gallery tutorial for about 2 days now and am sure that the solution to the problem i’m have is right in front of my nose but i just can’t see it! I am having one of 2 problems:

I either get an error message regarding my pathToPics eventhough everything is together in the same directory

Or i get no error message and no images appear either.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
nom44

What is the code you are losing to load the pics?

:hr:

I am using the code from the tutorial. It looks like this:

this.pathToPics = “animation/”;
this.pArray = [“image0.jpg”, “image1.jpg”, “image2.jpg”, “image3.jpg”, “image4.jpg”, “image5.jpg”, “image6.jpg”, “image7.jpg”, “image8.jpg”, “image9.jpg”];
this.fadeSpeed = 20;
this.pIndex = 0;
loadMovie(this.pathToPics+this.pArray[0], _root.photo);
MovieClip.prototype.changePhoto = function(d) {
// make sure pIndex falls within pArray.length
this.pIndex = (this.pIndex+d)%this.pArray.length;
if (this.pIndex<0) {
this.pIndex += this.pArray.length;
}

I have used all the same names for my files ie. image0 and animation
If you think it will help the rest of the code is here kirupa.com - Create a Photo Gallery

thanks for your intrest i hope to hear back from you
nom44

Are you sure that all the movie clips on your stage have instance names? For example, you have a line:

loadMovie(this.pathToPics+this.pArray[0], _root.photo);

which means that you are loading the images into an MC on your main timeline called “photo”. Make sure that MC has the instance name “photo”.

Everything seems to be right there same name on the MC. I just don’t know why it’s not working thanks for your help.
nom44

Can you post your file + a couple of pics?

Here’s my FLA and 2 pictures of 78. Let me know if you see anything weird. I just noticed when i made the photo MC red i couldn’t see it when i publish maybe there’s a problem there. any ideas are appreciated.
thanks again
nom44

Something must be up with your photos because when I try the photos that come with the photo gallery it works just fine (I copied and pasted the code from the tutorial as well, just to be sure) but your photos don’t work in either your gallery or the tutorial gallery. :frowning:

One thing I noticed which doesn’t really make a difference with the photos but is something to pay attention to - the tutorial recommends creating the photo MC at the same size as your images. I noticed you had it set to 250 x 175, the same as in the tutorial, but your images were 432 x 324 (or something like that). Anyway, just something to look at.

I would recommend trying sbeeners tutorial files (you can download them at the bottom of the tutorial) with some other images of yours (rename them “image0”, “image1”, etc.) to make sure they work in a file you know works before transfering them to your own project.

Sorry I couldn’t help more but I do think the problem is something funky going on with your images, not your fla. Is that good news or bad news? :stuck_out_tongue:

thanks for all your help!
it does make me fell better that it wasn’t the FLA. But too bad that it won’t work. i wanted the photos to be 4x6 but maybe if i make them even smaller it will work.
thanks again!
nom44

I dont’ think the size of the photo is the issue as that was the first thing I tried to fix in your file. Also when I loaded in sbeeners sample photos into your big photo MC they loaded off center but they loaded.

I still think you might have some corrupted images, though they open just fine in Photoshop and Firefox browser? :h:

Will you be posting this project on the web? If you have Photoshop try doing a “save for web” on them, see if that helps any? Also just try some other pics to see if they work.

cheers,

And be sure they’re non-progressive;)

scotty(-:

Oh yeah! I forgot about that! I wouldn’t be surprised if that was it because I had problems with that once before! :thumb: