Help please

I was wondering how to make the movie stop when the user clicks in a certain area. An example is http://members.shaw.ca/wpgclan/whatyouare.htm . I want to make something similar where the movie stops when the user clicks. Thanks for any help

Create a movie clip symbol.

Inside that symbol create your animation.

Go back and right click on the original movie clip symbol and open the actions panel.

Apply these actions…
[AS]on (release) {
this.stop();
}[/AS]

Thanks for the help, but when I do that, this message comes up:

"Clipboard Actions: Line 1: Mouse events are permitted only for button instances
on (release) {

I tried converting them to buttons, but the same message still came up. Do you have any advise?

You are probably exporting for Flash 5. If you are, this will not work.

Go to File/Publish Settings.

On the Flash Tab (I believe) there is an option for which version you are exporting as. If this is set to anything other than Flash 6, your on handler action on your movie clip will not work.

I checked that and I am exporting for flash 6.

And you are sure you applied the actions to the movie clip symbol and NOT a frame right?

Actually, I think that might be it. Thanks.

hehe, let me know :slight_smile:

Okay, I tested the movie and the output box came up with this message

Line 2: on handlers may not nest within other on handlers
on (release) {

I really have no idea what that means.

It means you are adding an on handler in another handler.

Paste me the EXACT code (copy and paste) that you have on your movie clips actions.

onClipEvent (load) {
on (release) {
this.stop();
}
}

I don’t have any idea what that means either. If you would like I can attach the flash file and you can take a look at it.

[AS]onClipEvent (load) {
on (release) {
this.stop();
}
}[/AS]

You are using an on handler inside an onClipEvent handler. You aren’t allowed to do that in Flash.

Just use…

[AS]on (release) {
this.stop();
}[/AS]

WIthout any onClipEvent handler.

Okay, When I copy and paste the action script you have there, it shows up with the OnClipEvent thing. It’s supposed to look like this:

on (release) {
this.stop();
}

But when I copy and paste that, it shows up like this:

onClipEvent (load) {
on (release) {
this.stop();
}
}

Can you explain how to do it by using the little “books” with the arrows on them on the left side of the action panel. The “books” say “actions” “operators” “function” and so on. Thanks

Ahhhh, I see, you are coding in “Normal Mode” thats why. Stupid normal mode automatically adds that in there grr, that makes no sense.

As for the books… Open the “Actions” book.

In there open the “Movie Control” book.

Then click on “on” then click on “stop”.

That should work. Either that or just copy and paste in Expert mode.

Alright, well I got the action script in there correctly, but when I test the movie, it still doesn’t stop when I click. Do you know what to do?

It works perfectly fine for me man… :-\

I did a super quick example, check the attachment.

Buddy you are doing a small mistake. Everything is fine but when u test the movie, u r not able to click exactly on to the movieClip. To make sure whenever you click it clicks on to movie, come to your file. open the movieclip of that animation. Insert one more layer and put a rectangle of around same movieClip size but the fill will be transparent.

Hope it works,

It works, confidently !

if still problem, dont hesitat to reply.

refer the fla

transparent

Thats exactly what I did, I just didn’t add the layer for text because it was just done real quick to show how the actions work.