Help with guitar hero type game

Hi guys,
As the title explains it all. let me just tell you that am just thinking about it. i am not looking to make it exactly like guitar hero, but something like it. Basically how should i sync the notes that keep coming on the screen with the music? i could do this manually by making a moviclip and placing the notes myself or even by using an array and attaching the notes in runtime. But i want the game to be more dynamic, i mean i shouldn’t have to make any major changes if i want to add a new song.So any ideas would be really appreciated. Oh and am using as2 here.
Thanks.

Awww…no replies? :frowning: maybe some reference might help. Here am trying to make something like this. http://www.multigames.com/game/Guitar_Hero_II-EKn57X5O

I don’t know how, but I’ll stay tight to this thread, I’m also looking for how to sync notes to music… -Ryan

learn to read guitar tabs and just match the game notes with the real notes
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/m/metallica/enter_sandman_tab.htm

umm…i really didnt understand your question there…with respect to that game you have shown, can you please explain what you mean?

learn to read guitar tabs and just match the game notes with the real notes
[COLOR=#003366]http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/…andman_tab.htm[/COLOR]

Although i dont know how to read tabs, i do play guitar and can write down music.But you know i dont even want to make this game note perfect.

Ok i will try explain this better. I have two ideas right now to make this game.

1. I select like 3 or 4 songs and then make one movieClip for each song and manually put the visuall notes in the movieClip and tween them. This way i can get somewhat a real feel of the song that is playing. For eg: When there is a fast solo or something i can put more notes in the animation that keep rolling and the player will have to press the right keys really fast, therefore he’ll find the game more real.

2)2nd method is just randomly generate these visuall notes at random intervals and throw them at the player. But in this method you probably wont feel as if you are really playing the song. because the visuall notes are generated randomly and might not really sync with the tempo of the song.

So i guess what am asking is, is there any better way to do this?

I prefer the second method. because its more dynamic than the 1st method. And frankly am not that much into animating things manually. But the AS2 offers nothing more than volume and pan control in the sound section. Is there any improvement in AS3 regarding sound manipulation?

But anyways tell me what do you guys think?

Oh Ok, now i get it!

To do this, first make a array of the cords/notes, and generate the the notes based on that! You will have to do this beforehand though! If you have some bucks, try using FlashAmp, but still i dont think you can do this with user specified songs at runtime.

[quote=bluemagica;2355614]Oh Ok, now i get it!

To do this, first make a array of the cords/notes, and generate the the notes based on that! You will have to do this beforehand though! If you have some bucks, try using FlashAmp, but still i dont think you can do this with user specified songs at runtime.[/quote]

For instance, DTXMania (drum mania) games have music files and notes files (sheet music, really)…

So essentially you need text or xml file containing sheet notes… and your app could read it off. Not so dynamic but I think it’s the most realistic…

I am looking into music theme as well… good luck!

Thanks guys, excellent ideas. I’ll just try these and see where it goes…I’ll keep posting my progress.
Ummm…Blue are you suggesting that i store the actuall sound for each and every note ?

It offers a lot more…Sound.position being one of them:
position (Sound.position property)

public position : Number [read-only]

The number of milliseconds a sound has been playing. If the sound is looped, the position is reset to 0 at the beginning of each loop.

You can use this property to tell you when to display a particular note/chord. As previously mentioned, you will have to analyse each song to determine the sound positions and store those in an array.

There are also some techniques/tools you can use which will automatically interrogate amplitude settings in a sound track, which you can then synch:
http://www.devx.com/webdev/Article/27587

acebuddy, i am telling you to set the amplitude of the song in a array, and generate the notes as per that. FlashAMP is a software that can do so automatically!! Thus in this way, you can make your own external packages and supply them to the user, containing the actual music, and a array of the notes. GlosRFC gave you a link, where you will find more details on it!