Help with php script

hey!

so i found the following script

http://www.dhtmlgoodies.com/index.html?whichScript=ajax-dynamic-list

I figured I could use it and turn it into a stock symbol autocomplete where results come up
as you type letters (like spotlight on mac)

I have it working, kind of.

http://adammesh.com/charts-test.php

The problem I’m having… when I select a stock symbol from the drop down menu, it adds the symbol and the name of the company into the text field. I only need it to add the symbol. The reason for this is because the text field sends a variable to some flash code I have on the page so that it may display the correct stock information within the chart. Here is some code so that you may understand a bit better:

Form:

<form name="form1" method="post" action="charts-test.php">
                          <td width="66" bgcolor="#000066"> 
                          <div class="fieldbox">
                            <input name="symbol" type="text" id="theName" onkeyup="ajax_showOptions(this,'getCountriesByLetters',event)" value="<?=$_POST['symbol']?>" size="44" maxlength="4" autocomplete="off"/>  
                            <input type="submit" name="Submit" value="Get Chart" /><p class="field_desc"><font color="#FFFFFF">Enter a symbol</font></p>
                            </div>                    </td>
                                                    <td width="100%" bgcolor="#000066" style="color:#FFFFFF;"><br />
                            <input type="hidden" name="submitted" value="TRUE">                            </td>
                        </form>

File that gets the stock symbols from the database:

<?
$conn = mysql_connect("","","");
mysql_select_db("",$conn);

if(isset($_GET['getCountriesByLetters']) && isset($_GET['letters'])){
    $letters = $_GET['letters'];
    $letters = preg_replace("/[^a-z0-9 ]/si","",$letters);
    $res = mysql_query("select countryName, countryDescription from ajax_countries where countryName like '".$letters."%'") or die(mysql_error());
    #echo "1###select ID,countryName,countryDescription from ajax_countries where countryName like '".$letters."%'|";
    while($inf = mysql_fetch_array($res)){
        echo $inf["ID"]."###".$inf["countryName"]."".$inf["countryDescription"]."|";
    }    
}
?>

The db only has 3 fields: id, countryName, countryDescription

Also, I was thinking, would it also be possible to bold the search results letter by letter as type them?

And I need it to echo “No results” if nothing matches…

Thanks in advance!

p.s. I left all the variables just as the original script author left them fully intending to clean everything up once i get this working.