How can I make it display date?

Hi,
In my site I need to have the date available for viewers. I know how to display the date of the user and I would like to create an onion skin animation for each separate chatacter(yes, I know how to create an onion skin animation but not how to do it separate for each character).
My problem is this: I want to display the name of the month, not the number. Now I want each character animated separately in the date animation.
for example:
S would appear with an onion skin animation, then about a quarter second later all the other characters with the same animation, E, P, T, E, M, B, E, R, [space], 2, 4, [space], 2, 0, 0, 2.
How can I code actionscript so that I can do this with the user’s date? Sorry for my lack of description, its late and I can’t think well. Thanks in advance for any helpful replies.

Wow, sounds ambitious.

My only ideas would be to follow this tutorial…

http://www.kirupa.com/developer/actionscript/digital_clock.asp

You don’t need all of it, just the part about the date. Then you can add if statements to activate your animation. Such as…

if (myMonth = “september”){
_root.septemberClip.gotoAndPlay(2);
}

I hope you understand what I mean.

you might also need to use some string manipulation methods.

I wish I had brought my book with me.(thank god for http://www.macromedia.com/support/flash/action_scripts_dict.html) I’ll check this code in the morning to see what errrors it has. I know it has some… but the idea is here anyway.

function separateLetters(something){
    new Array letterHolder();
    for(var i=0;i<something.length;i++){
        letterHolder*=something.charAt(i);
    }
}

What this does is populate an array called ‘letterHolder’ with each letter in a word. I used something similar for my texacular effects.

From there it’s a simple matter of giving the individual text feilds a value of each of the array elements.

Like I said there might be some errors there… I haven’t tested it yet… but I will when I get a chance.

That’s the idea. I think Jubby did something like that in his text effect tutorial. You can see it here:
Jubby’s tute

pom :asian:

Hey pom… have you noticed that the ‘code’ word doesn’t work anymore to display code? I used ‘php’ here because I saw that lostinbeta had done so earlier with good effect, but I’d like to know why. If you talk to K before me, ask him about it.

I forgot in my example that new array set up should be taken out and placed separately somewhere frame one.

testing

Must be a glitch in the Matrix, Upu. Quick, take the red pill!