How do you make smoke?

That is one of the best examples of smoke Iā€™ve ever seen, and by far the best Iā€™ve seen done in Flash. Can I get a source FLA for that?

manā€¦ except that little jump at the end of the loop. I still want the source thoughā€¦

reread my 2nd post: only swf, or 3ds file

ahhā€¦ I didnā€™t look at thatā€¦too busy mesmerized by the smoke I guess. :slight_smile:

i made this smoke with a shape and a script attached to it and duplicated x times, i think it looks nice, wish i new how to do duplicate.movieclipā€¦ anyone know a good tut on that?\r\rmeesje\r\rhttp://chocolat.topcities.com/smoke.htm

Hey, that looks good !!\rWhat do you want to know about duplication ?\rpom 0]

thanks for liking it :)\r\riā€™m just getting into actionscript so please excuse my poor knowledgeā€¦ \r\rat this moment i started with a movieclip of the text balloonish shape and attached a script to it that sets certain properties like rotation, scale, alpha and positionā€¦ when i want to change a parameter i have to access al scripts or change one and re-duplicate and re-tweak them\r\rso i imagine one can write one function and the instances calling the function, i tried all day but no goā€¦\r\rthen there is the duplicate movie\rhere i assume there is a way to set a loop to generate an x amount of these instances and give them (random) slightly different propertiesā€¦ \r\ri know little bit of lingo, i know the concept of lists and reading them but maybe that is not needed hereā€¦ anyway the simpler the better ))\r\rthank you for your attention,\r\rmeesje

Well, you could put one instance of smoke with the code in it, and instance name it ā€˜mc0ā€™. Youā€™d have to change the code a bit though.

onClipEvent (enterFrame) {\r\rif (_name == "mc0) {\r\r         this.duplicateMovieClip("copy"+x,x) ;\r\r         this["copy"+x]._x = random (150) ;\r\r}\r\r// The rest of your code\r\r}

I donā€™t code from scratch too well though, so if this doesnā€™t work, thatā€™s normal, just post back. :smiley: \rpom 0]

yo copypasted thanks pom\rgonna do a little sleep first\rand look at it with a ā€˜freshā€™ head tomorrow\r(you made me happy twice today))

Never ever copy paste what I write. I made several mistakes, lacking ", ; and all kinds of thingsā€¦

pom 0]

hi again,

no luck today (hence the unsolved rubics cube icon i chose)

guess iā€™ll pick up that flash math creativity book pom just mentioned and dive into it, i did a google search and found the site connected to the book, guess most of you know it but what beeeeautiful examples of!!

pom does the book have smoke?

www.friendsofed.com/fmc/index.html

anyway for for who is interested in the smoke, for beginners like meā€¦ i took one movieclip, attached the script, set the alpha, duplicated it about 20 times and tweaked their scale and rotation

meesje

onClipEvent (load) {
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp IKS = this._xscale;
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp JIJ = this._yscale;
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp }

onClipEvent (enterFrame) {
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp this._rotation += 1;
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp if (this._y<0) {
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp this._y = 110;
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp this._xscale = IKS;
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp this._yscale = JIJ;
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp this._alpha = 50;
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp } else {
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp this._y -=2;
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp this._xscale +=.5;
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp this._yscale +=.5;
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp this._alpha -=1;
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp }
}

I havenā€™t seen smoke anywhere. But you have some nice examples all rightā€¦

pom 0]

thanks =)

gonna pick up that book you mentioned later this week and try to make a version with duplicatemovieā€¦ make it originate from one pointā€¦ try try, well i surely will come back here to post results and very likely questions

but please feel free to have goā€¦ you, jeremy, anyoneā€¦ different methods, maybe we can make a tut out of it

meesje

ā€œteach me more actionscript!ā€

If thatā€™s just a problem of duplication, no need to buy the book (buy it anyway, itā€™s great). I think thereā€™s a good example of what you want to do in the open source section, a fla by Thoriphes, about bubbles and allā€¦

pom 0]

URL=www.kirupa.com/developer/ā€¦licate.asp

wow thanks pom,

i thought i had browsed through them all
missed it

meesje

Thatā€™s one, but I was thinking about www.kirupa.com/opensource/index.asp
pom 0]

the dupicatemovie was far less complicated than i thought

meesje

If u guys wanna see REALLY convincing smoke check this out:

www.vastminds.com <ā€“niiiiiice

WOW. This site was SOTW a few weeks ago, and they really know how to Flash.
pom 0]

Awsome smokeā€¦ other than that ignore me, I quit smoking after 10 years. I havenā€™t had one for 24 days, 19 hours, and 55 minutesā€¦ not that all these posts are doing anything to me :slight_smile: