I have a few questions

#1-Is it possible to make a frame hold for a certain amount of time, lets say 15secs before continuing?

#2-What does the “ease” button do in flash5?

#3-Once you have finished a page/movieclip/graphic… How do you make it a smaller file size?

#4-Does anyone know how to make an object move arcoss the screen and lets say i want it to stop in the middle of the page. Before it stops at a certain keyframe, how do i make begin to slow down as it approaches that frame instead of just STOPPING when it hits that keyframe.

Does all these make sense?

Can someone help me out with these please!
Thanks guys, :slight_smile:

Jak…

#1-Is it possible to make a frame hold for a certain amount of time, lets say 15secs before continuing?

Sure… there is a getTimer(); method which gets the number of milliseconds that a movie has been playing. With that read once, then read again later, you can subtract the differences and use it as a pause method… I’ll look around for the code, but from what I remember it’s pretty easy.

#2-What does the “ease” button do in flash5?

I’m not sure if I know of an erase button, unless your talking about the eraser tool in the tool panel. If that’s the case, it erases strokes and fills. There are some options below, when it’s clicked that let you do things like erase behind, and erase fill only, and stuff like that.

#3-Once you have finished a page/movieclip/graphic… How do you make it a smaller file size?

Optimization is a tricky thing. The best way to do it is to find out what can be done in a/s instead of with tweening, and do it that way. Other things can be done like using Photoshop to degrade your pictures and then reimport them. You can reimport an origional, in the library and it will automaticaly change all of the instances of that graphic on the stage.

#4-Does anyone know how to make an object move arcoss the screen and lets say i want it to stop in the middle of the page. Before it stops at a certain keyframe, how do i make begin to slow down as it approaches that frame instead of just STOPPING when it hits that keyframe.

Well… you can’t change frame rates during play time… that’s a given. One option would be to set your tweens first on either end of the movement. Then after the tween is in place, set two more keyframes say, ten frames before, and ten after the middle point. Then, add frames to the middle tween, between these added points. The rate of movement from the first to the last will remain constant, but the section in the middle will be slower than that at the ends.

I’ll try to come up with real step by step explinations for any of these if you want em. Just let me know.

Ok,
Do you think you could explain thew “get timer()” one a bit more when you get the codes? It would be useful because it would save heaps of room in my frames!

And about making the file size smaller…
im not quite sure what your saying… the rest i understand!!! :slight_smile:

thanks heaps.
Jak…

Check Macromedias Flash exchange, there’s something there called something like ‘wait a frame’ (an extension) which lets you pause your animation.
The “ease in/out” is exactly what you’re looking for to slow down your motion, only thing is, i never remember if it’s in or out, just test, it makes a tween start fast and slow down towards the end for one, and start slow to speed up towards the end of the tween for the other.
File size: less keyframes, gradients, embedded fonts, tweens and so on, kirupa did something on this for which we all contributed, check the site, i don’t know where it is…

easing speeds towards what you call it…

in the case of using easing, which is actually better than the one I suggested above:

place both end keyframes first. Then move the playhead until you reach the frame where the animated peice should be moving mostly slowly (in your case the middle), then place another keyframe there.

Click on the first keyframe in the animation and use the easing slider to make it “ease in”. Then click on the middle keyframe and use the slider to make it “ease out”.

easing is superior to my method above as it’s much more smooth.

Oh ok,
thanks heaps EYEZBURG and UPUAUT8…
:slight_smile:

eyezburg, whats the addy from the macro site for “waiting on a keyframe” topic?

thanks again guys!

jak… :slight_smile: