Illegible Text On Panels

I am using flash 5 on a windows 2000 OS. The text on the panels are very difficult to read. I don’t see any options to change the font of the text on the panels. If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

Pirk685

Hey there,

I went through the flash 5 help to see if I could find anything about your problem, and I can’t. But I have an alternative that might present a solution. Have you been playing with your default fonts on your desktop? If you right click on your desktop, check out what your default fonts settings are. I know just in the effects tab there are a few things you can play with. (smooth edges of screen fonts etc).

Try that and some of the other font options in there (it’s quite possible you either changed the font type or size which is making it pretty hard to read).

Let me know if that helps.

Uth:nerd:

You were absolutely right to have me play with my settings. I tried several things but the only way I could fix it was to go into the advanced settings on my display settings and change my default text size from large to small. Thanks for steering me in the right direction.

Hey,

It was definately my pleasure to help. I’m glad it worked out for ya. You know now that you can see all your panels properly, we’re going to want to see some of the neat work you’ll be making :stuck_out_tongue:

Have a good one,

Uth :nerd:

I have plenty of stuff to show y’all. I am a deputy for the Dallas county sheriff’s department and create flash presentations for the executive office. before I came along they were stoked about how cool PowerPoint was. I was able to convince them that flash was the way to go and have been working with it for over a year and a half now. How would I go about showing y’all some of the creations?

Pirk685: You could upload it to a server and send us a link. If you dont have a server or webpage there are free ones like www.tripod.com. If not, you can zip them into a .zip file and upload it as an attachment here.

Uthar: great job on fixing the problem, I would have never though about desktop font settings effecting flash.

Also…when I click the link in your profile to go to your web page I get an error saying…

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error ‘80004005’

Cannot open database requested in login ‘JKnechtel’. Login fails.

//global.asa, line 16

any idea why?

hey there,

Well it’s nice to know people are at least trying to look at some of the stuff I’ve done :stuck_out_tongue:

Right now that site is hosted on a server from my old school. (I graduated from my program about 3 months ago). So we have ftp access to upload and download as we please. Right now they’re going through all (so around 15) servers and refitting them, as well as changing ips and various other things. So the server that my site was on is having all the trimmings redone (so .asp and .sql support isn’t there). Since that site used a lot of both, it’s down for the count until things get cleared up. I’ve been told that it’ll be at least 2 weeks before they will get things in order (so I’m guessing around 4). But since they were basically doing me a big favour with free hosting, I’m not going to be complaining :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyways, that’s the reason more or less.

Have a good one and thanks for the compliment :

Well I hope your problem gets fixed soon, because I definitely would like to see your stuff.

Hey there,

I’ve put up a temporary index.htm that you can view part of the site from. I know around 1/3 to a half of it won’t be working because it’s very asp and sql dependant. Originally this was done by myself and a partner (John–hence the error of knechtelj) as a project for our asp/sql class. So there’s an ecommerce system in there (all the products are fake, just to show that it works), record tracking, a hockey pool, we also made a chat app we called “SpiderChat”, that used asp/sql to make a browser version of an instant messenger type program. Of course because we did it all from scratch it wasn’t all that soffisticated.

I also took a closer look at the error itself, and I’m guessing the answer I gave is wrong. It looks like they just deleted our login account from that server, or we’re sending our login request to the wrong server. Either way it means it still won’t work, but I thought I’d clarify.

Anyways that should give you an idea of what’s there if you don’t want to wait (and I could be waiting a while:( ) till the problem gets fixed.

Cheers,

Sounds great, I am still going to wait and see. I am not going to ditch it just because it will take a while.

I think your first description of the problem was accurate. It says it could not access the database for the login. Isn’t the database the mySQL part? If it didn’t have mySQL it couldn’t access the database right?

Hey there,

The Server that my site is hosted on was using SQL. That’s microsoft’s “web” version of access (more or less anyways). MySQL is something that’s a bit different. Theory wise it’s for the same thing, but it has a bit of a different interface (SQL can be text or a bit graphical, mySQL is just text as far as I know). Generally speaking you use php with mySQL and asp with SQL, not sure if you can mix them up or not… I don’t think so but well… you just never know with these things.

Cannot open database requested in login ‘JKnechtel’. Login fails.

Maybe I was right the first time… I guess if I was really ambious I would just look up the error code, but I’m not in any sort of panic over it hehe.

Have a good one,