Masking question

I am wondering if it is possible to have multiple layers mask the same layer.

I have a background picture, and I am trying to have multiple layers with text mask the picture, but I can only seem to get one layer to mask the picture.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Dave

put all those layers in a movie clip, then put that movie clip in the one layer that is a mask.
:slight_smile:
jeremy

I tried putting into a movie clip, but only the bottom most layer in the movie clip will act as a mask and none of the other layers in the clip are visible.

I put up a tiny test .fla file at: www.rorybreaker.com/test_mask.fla

If anyone knows what I’m doing wrong, please help!

Thanks,
Dave

When I do it, I take the layer I want to mask, copy the frames, create a bunch of new layers, and paste the frames in each so that they are exactly the same. Then I mask each on individualy. Works well for me. It can make your project large in file size though.

Is that the only way to do it?

I haven’t found another… but that doesnt’ mean anything… there’s plenty I don’t know. :slight_smile:

try setting it at runtime with MovieClip.setMask();

Okay there’s a rad way to do this - i was messing around the other day.

make your masked layers and what not and then export the clip as a .swf and then import it back into flash.

telley

What Supra said : in the first layer of your animation, setMask them all, it should work.

b0xg33k : ??? I don’t understand.

pom 0]

I think that people are missing what he was asking… or I am.

the impression I got from the question was that he would like a single layer to have multiple layers masking it.

It’s quite easy to have a single mask, mask multiple layers, but the other way around?

or am I thoroughly confused…

and yeah bOx… I am really not sure what you’re talking about either… can you explain that a little better?