Music is in the air

Haha, i have something for the random talk to.

Because I think everybody is from different countries and so.

(I’m from Belgium, a think not much people now where it actually is, lol, so tiny.)

I am interested in the musicfavours of the forummembers, and to tell me what do you think, is the best song ever?

Then i can go an acquire some newies.

Really sounds cool to know!

“Toploader - dancing in the moonlight” is mine, I think :slight_smile:

Cyaz and plz don’t post boysbands, i really hate this freaks :evil:

Hey peewy,
That’s a really tough question considering everyone here has extremely varying musical tastes. Well, my top two picks would have to be:

Bee Gees - This Is Where I Came In
U2 - Streets With No Name

Those are pretty much the only artists I make it a point to listen to. I have almost all of the Bee Gees work collected from around the world (1969-2002), and have only begun to start with getting most of the U2 albums.

btw: I changed download to acquire in your post :slight_smile:

Cheers!
Kirupa :rambo:

Hey Peewy!

I know where Belgium is. :slight_smile: I went to school in Brussels for 5 years. In which city do you live? I still return every few years; I adore your country.

As for my favorite song, well, that’s very hard for me. So much depends on mood. And tastes change over time! Right now, I’m really into latin and international music, but my all time favorites are fairly consistent - you know the kind of musician/s that you’ll grab an album on release day no matter what…

Certainly, a favorite is U2 (been with 'em right along, all the way from the first drum beats I heard of “Sunday Bloody Sunday”), Others are Marc Anthony (especially his salsa work), Zucchero, Pink Floyd, Alan Parsons Project, Stanley Jordan, Jesse Cook… the list goes on and on. Of course, Chayanne - that goes without saying I think. lol!

Anyway, great topic. And Kirupa… you haven’t lived until you’ve heard Streets With No Name live. I hope you had a chance to attend the “Elevation” tour: it was the best of any U2 concert I’ve ever seen.

Hey Karen,
I have never seen U2’s concerts :frowning: Only found that their music was really good only a few days ago. Now that you mention it, I might consider buying U2’s Elevation Tour (Boston) on DVD. I noticed it on amazon. I heard part of Streets WIth No Name during the 9/11 memorial when a wall with the names of victims was scrolling. Yeah, the song is amazing…too bad I only started listening to U2 for only the last 2 weeks.

Cheers!

Oh, you won’t regret the DVD. :slight_smile: The Elevation tour was all about getting back to basics, connecting with the fans, and just plain playing their wonderful music. Excellent performances!

Bono did a body dive straight into the audience in Pittsburgh. I think he did that in many of the shows. I remember thinking to myself, “…my God, he’s going to be ripped apart!..”, but the fans didn’t hurt him, and let him walk around on top of their heads. Highly entertaining, of course, as only Bono can be.

Two weeks of U2 music… you make me feel old! lol, I’ve been a fan for about 18 years now. :x

If you’re in the collecting-albums phase, I’d consider Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, Elevation the must-haves. Then, of course, the older stuff. Skip Pop unless you really really really want everything. The band members have done some interesting solo work as well, especially Edge. Bono wrote some lyrics for Zucchero… it’s a small world!

Cool that you been to school in Belgium, I’m from Antwerp.

Nice that you both post a reply, and yeah U2 is cool, he is not my favorite, but it isn’t bad.

Went to my downloadsection right away and get some new songs.

I think soft-rock is the best music and disco it lives forever.

Greetz out there, Me ofcourse :stuck_out_tongue:

I know 2 weeks does not seem like a long time :frowning: I was channel surfing through VH1 when I noticed Bono singing Summer Wine (an old song I heard a Sinatra singing) with Andrea Corr. Then I was like, well, I guess I’ll look into all of U2’s albums. I went to Amazon and heard a sample of Joshua Tree and All That you Can’t Leave Behind. All of the songs I had heard someplace somewhere such as the NBA PlayOff half-time (in Boston I believe) and the 9/11 tribute and Corrs: Live in Dublin show. And the ultimate reason…

U2.com (http://www.u2.com) is a really cool Flash site. I was browsing through the really cool menu and I caught a video of “Stuck in a Moment” and then got hooked on all of the cool songs. A band is not judged by their talent/lyrics/record sales but by the quality of the Flash animations on their site!! :ninja:

Cheers!

“Life Beyond The Minimum Safe Distance” by “The Matthew Good Band” is the best song ever…

It’s actually a B-Side… Clearly, I am indy rock and therefore cool.

However, “Radiohead” is the best BAND ever.

But everybody’s heard of Radiohead, so if I praise them it doesn’t really do anything for anyone. I mean, I’m sure I’m not the only person who’s reading this thread in hopes of finding new bands.

So… (Warning: some of these bands may be extremely successful. I don’t pay that much attention to pop culture. This are all just bands that, as far as I know, are obscure.):

Cat Power: Like Tori Amos, except she uses the guitar more than the piano instead of the other way around. Psycho-depressing music.

Godspeed You Black Emperor! A cross between Classical and Rock. 20 minute average song length.

A Silver Mount Zion Members of Godspeed on a side project.

Set Fire To Flames: Another Godspeed side project.

Mogwai: Instrumental rock, for the most part. Unlike Godspeed, they sing every now and then. Unlike Godspeed, they mainly use standard instruments. But both bands are generally the same idea. (Actually, I think they’re kind of famous in the U.K., but the rest of the world hasn’t heard of them, so they’re still worth mentioning.)

Hayden: Somewhere in between Alternative Rock and Folk. At first he was mostly Alternative Rock, but with each CD he becomes more and more pure folk. He has, in my opinion, the perfect voice for folk music.

Kupek: *Acoustic Radioheadish band. Indie, as in no record label. I, like most of his fans, only know he exists because of his art website. *

Thursday: Slight change of pace her. Heavy Metal. They sound like Sparta, who are essentially At The Drive In, who are accused of basically ripping off Rage Against The Machine’s style. Thursday sounds NOTHING like Rage Against The Machine. Basically, they have a melodic singer and some guy who screams a lot to accompany him.

… And misc. notes on bands that are sort of popular but still need some of their more obscure factors noted:

I think most people have forgotten that acoustic guitar-obsessed musicial genius Elliott Smith exists.

Sigur Ros is not, to my knowledge, obscure. However, my friends only know they exist because I force their music upon them. Therefore I feel it is my civic duty to tell you that if you don’t know who Sigur Ros is you’re missing out big time.

Coldplay is not an obscure band by any definition, but it should be noted that they’re probably the only band on earth where the B-Sides are actually BETTER than the A-Sides. So get the song “I’ll See You Soon” NOW.

Of course being the old timer here…(32 yo) my tastes are different than almost anyone else.

Though I am a big fan of Bjork. “Hunter” and “Human behavior” , and “Big Time Sensuality” are among my favorite songs.

absolute favorite though? … that’s tough. Probebly something by Sting or the Police.

Then again, Bobby Vinton’s Blue velvet is one of my favorites too.

maybe I should shut up and go set myself in a casket… :slight_smile:

Hehe.

We tend to get a bit of everything over here in England - currently the hot favourites (at least if you’re about 12) are Gareth Gates, Will Young and Darius. They’re all from a programme we had on TV a few months ago called Pop Idol. Long story, and I’m reserving judgement on this.

Personally I like what’s termed Brit Pop (Blur, Oasis, Charlatans), indie (Weezer, Wheatus) and nu-metal (Blink 182, Sum 41, Offspring).

Favourite song is a toughie though. “Denial, Revisted” by Offspring is amazing, and so is my current favourite “Girl All The Bad Guys Want” by Bowling 4 Soup… Hmmm.

I’m going to go for “I Feel So” by Box Car Racer.

*Originally posted by david *
**Of course being the old timer here…(32 yo) my tastes are different than almost anyone else.

Though I am a big fan of Bjork. “Hunter” and “Human behavior” , and “Big Time Sensuality” are among my favorite songs.

absolute favorite though? … that’s tough. Probebly something by Sting or the Police.

Then again, Bobby Vinton’s Blue velvet is one of my favorites too.

maybe I should shut up and go set myself in a casket… :slight_smile: **

Actually, I’d say I like every band you mentioned…

Interesting thing about Sting… Saw him live once. I’ve never really liked most Police songs like Message In A Bottle or Roxanne, but man… He just played them differently or something… They were really good when he played them without the other members of The Police. Weird how that works.

I love Bjork. Her live in London was the most extraordinary experience…

And Sigur Ros, LiveA, I’m happy you talked about them. Actually, I saw them 2 years ago or so, first part for Radiohead, and they were sooooo much better than Radiohead… (Kid A period, impossible to listen to, especially live)

Fiona Apple, not my favorite, but simply amazing.

pom :asian:

Tupac “Aint **** without your homeboys” cause its soooooo true!

I also like Nappy Roots, Bone Thugs, Norega, BIG, kurupt, daz dillinger, eminem, trick daddy, xzibit, ludacris, cypress hill, disturbed, linkin park, papa roach, and when I’m with a girl B2K has gots ta be what I’m playin!

Actually, I’d say I like every band you mentioned…

Interesting thing about Sting… Saw him live once. I’ve never really liked most Police songs like Message In A Bottle or Roxanne, but man… He just played them differently or something… They were really good when he played them without the other members of The Police. Weird how that works.

Well… I guess I’m not ready for the grave yet. :slight_smile:

I was always a big fan of the Police, and I doubt that there is anther lead singer (except Phil Collins) who I actually like more than the origional band they belonged to… Sting is one of those.

I forgot to mention my absolute favorite band right now… “No doubt”. I thought that they were good with their “hit” albumn… but I really like all of their stuff… even the “b” sides.

oooooo there’s a trivial question… “b” sides… anyone still remember what one of those is? Where the term comes from?

(ok, maybe it’s easy trivia… but there are a LOT of younguns here. :slight_smile: )

When singles were released on vinyl you had the single track on one side, but because a record was a two sided thing, they put another track on ‘the b side’.

Aha hier zijn nog Belgen en zelfs van Antwerpen!

Groetjes