My Holy Grail in Flash

It’s always got to be *that *question. Someone who doesn’t know what he/she is doing has a lofty goal. He/she faces a bit of confusion and then explodes in a puff of “noob._visible = false.”

I’m here to pursue my holy grail of Flash. I’ve seen Flash applications with this special feature. I’ve played games that have found this holy grail, and I wish I hadn’t. It makes me dream too hard. To the point that my brain hurts. And I don’t like that.

Every idea I’ve had about Flash, I’ve been able to solve. I learned actionscript from stealing code from tutorials, and when it doesn’t work just right, I play with variables, tweak instance names, etc., to the point that I’ve gotten, well, pretty decent, if I do say so myself. I’ve solved all kinds of problems and am able to implement almost any idea that I can think of. Yet there is one concept which I can’t grasp. And after fruitless research I don’t even know what to call it.

I’ll go with user authentication. I guess. You know, a player registers, logs in, and can play a game with his files and info from anywhere. Nonetheless, the idea of communicating with a server is purely satanic. Every time I try to learn from a tutorial, it goes up in flames. Every example .swf I see fails to accomplish what the tutorial teaches.

My game, as it is, can save files locally, which isn’t good enough for the type of game I’m making. For example, motherload (I’ll be damned if I try to compare anything I’ve created with motherload, one of the best flash games on the interwebs today) has a login requirement, and a ■■■■ efficient one at that. What are the requirements for hosting such a thing? Everywhere I go, I hear a different method, a different program, a different hell. Does a decent and recent tutorial even exist?

At this point, all I can do is sound my barbaric yawp over the threads of Flash communities. I hope you’ll forgive me for being too newby to ask such a big question.