National Talk-like-a-pirate day!

*Originally posted by asphaltcowboy *
**I have no idea what you’re talking about :sure: **
My work here is done. :slight_smile:

So, National Talk Like A Pirate Day… Who thinks these things up, I wonder?

real-life pirates would be my guess… :slight_smile:

there are LOTS of wei- cool people out there who think this stuff up. take one of my sister’s friends for example, he ran a site that streamed videos of sock puppets through his webcam… these kinds of sites are what make the internet fun :slight_smile: lol

*Originally posted by asphaltcowboy *
**Arrrrh! Scurvy dog! Shiver me timbers! You there … hoist something! :sure: **

You have British pirates too? I guess that’s where most of the pirate game started. It’s late. Oh yeah, fell out of my chair again when I got to “you there… hoist something”. :sure: I was just picturing a british guy saying that. Funny stuff. You people kill me.

“You there, hoist something… Then get me a cup of tea, it’s freezing up here.” :stuck_out_tongue:

Very British pirates. :rock:

Arr me heartys! I be the scurviest sea dog that ever sailed these seas, arr! Avast, shiver me timbers, I shall be cutting ye scallywags into ribbons i shall, arr!

HOW TO TALK LIKE A PIRATE

Any pirate worth his salt needs to be able to talk the talk. To instantly become “pirate-like,” just add “arrr!” at the end of your sentence–it’s the one thing EVERY pirate says. Here are 10 more words any scoundrel-in-training must master:

AVAST: A nautical term meaning “What’s up?” or “What are you doing?”
Example: “Avast, me matey?”

PIECE OF EIGHT: Spanish silver coin, often cut into pieces to make change.
Example: “We be searching the high seas for Long John Silver’s lost Pieces of Eight.”

WALK THE PLANK: A dire punishment in which one must walk off a wooden board on the side of a ship and fall into the ocean.
Example: “The scurvy scoundrel stole me favorite pirate hat; I’m going to make him walk the plank!”

DOUBLOON: A gold coin minted by Spain or Spanish colonies, worth about seven weeks’ pay for an average sailor.
Example: “I’ll be saving my doubloons to buy me own pirate ship. Arrr!”

SHIVER ME TIMBERS!: An expression of surprise or fear.
Example: “Shiver me timbers! I just saw a ghost ship!”

SEA DOG: Experienced sailor.
Example: “Blackbeard is one famous sea dog.”

JOLLY ROGER: The pirate flag with its skull and crossbones.
Example: “After looting the island, we left our Jolly Roger behind, flying high in the sky.”

SCALLYWAG: Bad person.
Example: “Although Sir Francis Drake was knighted by Queen Elizabeth, his fellow pirates thought he was quite a scallywag.”

SEA ROVER: Pirate ship.
Example: “Look! On the horizon, there be a dozen sea rovers heading this way!”

ME HEARTY: My friend.
Example: “Ahoy, me hearty, will ye be helping me look for buried treasure?”

*Originally posted by awligon *
Oh yeah, fell out of my chair again when I got to “you there… hoist something”. :sure:
:thumb:

No, in theory, the british were always the navy with their flashy ships and fancy wigs, chasing down the evil plunderers o’ the seven seas! strangely… pirates were generally american… [COLOR=silver]gotta tv and cinema ;)[/COLOR]

but yes, british pirates would be soooo cool! how about we commandeer a ship and set up a british pirates association (we’re british, we have to have an association ;)) then we can set sail for the high seas, taking the ideas of chivelry and proper tea-making to the lawless american sea bandits! Arrrr!

Anyone fancy walking the plank? “after you” “oh no, I insist” I:-)

a top idea Cap’n Anderson. Lets set sail right away, tally ho!
Then we can all sit down and enjoy some ginger beer. Spiffing idea wot?

Oh such splendiferous fun! What a gay day!

just about a month away! :pirate: :pir: :pirate3:

:pleased:

I heard about this Scott Mills on R1 was talking about it

Roger the cabin boy - thats a sport down your neck of the woods isn’t it Kit?

MS Paint Skills :thumb:

now thats just plain scarey!

Arr… It seems I missed Me Day, Oh Well. I am Resigned…

hehe =)

I almost forgot!!

ARRRRRR!!! :pirate:

'sup landflubbers?

What? It’s today or something?

I MEAN…SOMETHINGARRR…?..? :ne: