New comp?

hahahaha, I’ll just tell what i feel:

I LOVE KIRUPA, IT IS A GREAT PLACE!

Come on, Lost, putting the blame on me is a bit easy :evil:

There should be something including the idea that we’ll learn something, that’s it’s fun and of course that it’s a competition, don’t you think?

Hey Kir. You there?

Hey Pom,
Yeah I am here :slight_smile: So, I’ll create the forum and related stuff today hopefully. So, when do you guys want to start the competition, and how long should this competition last? About one month? I believe that users should be able to see the other entries so they’ll know what they are competing against. It also helps beginners to get some ideas on how to use a grid, etc.

Cheers!
Kirupa :rambo:

I think the contest should last a month, and just so it becomes a montly contest I think we should start it in ht beginning of October. That way all new comers and people new to the contest will have a full month to test their skills.

Showing entries has it’s good and bad points. Good points are for ideas and so you know what you are going against so you can try an outdo that. Bad things are intimidation and the copying of effects. I vote to show the entries though.

Ilyas: Sorry to blame you:( , but you did start it:P <FONT FACE=“verdana” STYLE=“font-size: 10px”>(hehe)</FONT>

I think we should show entries, definitely. There was a discussion about that at bit-101, and as they said, it’s an open-source contest. We’re here to learn, to get inspiration from one another, so if we hide the entries…

And I did start it, but [SIZE=3]you asked for it!![/SIZE] :stuck_out_tongue: And I’m in favour of starting the contest RIGHT NOW!! I think we’ve waited enough, haven’t we? And last thing, 1 month is long, you know. On a site like this one, if we make it 1 month, we’ll have 200 entries, and I’m afraid people will lose interest. So why not make it half a month? 15 days to script a grid should be enough, don’t you think?

Oh, yeah, and what about the voting process?!?

pom :asian:

15 days is reasonable. I was just saying 1 month to give people time to research their effects, but you know what, if you take that long it is your fault…haha.

Still not sure about the voting. Or the name.

I don’t know, I liked my idea of 2 separate categories, but on the other hand 1 vote is enough trouble already.

I think we should stick to:
First round: users vote
Second round: Kirupa and a bunch of trustees vote.

The name, the name…

It is the… Kirupatition…eh…no.

How about… Kirupathon…eh…no to that one too.

I don’t know, I am sure we will think of something.

I don’t know… I like “Kirupatition”. Veyr catchy. I’m sure we’ll come up with something better… but I don’t think that’s bad at all.

Thanks david=)

Hows about… The AS Battle … lol … just kidding, it isn’t even technically a battle, it is a learning experience:)

Maybe something about Creativity… Guided Creativity, Scripted Creativity… Kireatition??

I also have a few other questions…

1. Will a person be able to apply actions to BOTH the movie clip and the frame, or is it just frame actions? (i don’t see why it would be, but I figured I would ask)

2. Although I won’t do it because it will take out all the fun, will a person be able to make their movie clip a simple animation just to add to the effect? (like a tween of it growing and shrinking or something)

I think that is all. I figured I would ask this in case anyone asks me:)

MHO:

1. Flash 5 users will have to do that so yes.
  2. It’s better if you script it. For you because you can control the motion better, and for us because we can try the effect on our comp without having to fo the tween.

pom :asian:

Kirupa!! Talk to us!! Please!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

I agree with better for scripting, but I wasn’t sure if tweening would be allowed since the contest is for all levels of Actionscripters.

I of course will script everything. I already have a few things ready for the competition:) They are all pretty cheesy, but I don’t care about winning, I just want to have fun =)

I have a few files too, nothing extraordinary, just some nice effects. :stuck_out_tongue:

Aight, one last time, what will the name of the contest be? So, the contest will be open-source with entries viewable by all people. The duration of the contest will be 15 days =) The file size will not exceed 15k.

Cheers!
Kirupa :rambo:

Yipee!! And sorry Kir, but I have absolutely ZERO idea for a name…

I am still thinking, and if I come up with something I will post it right away. Even if it means kicking someone off of the computer so I can do it. I wouldn’t want it to slip my head before I got the chance to let you know.