New comp?

I enjoyed reading the posts between the Mods about the possibility of a contest (or what you may call it)… I really liked ilyaslamasse ideas, and at the end it seemed be that he would be initiating the process. I am only wondering when this could be expected to begin (or if it will??), and if it does how so?
Just bringing this to the front burner.

Peace

PS if you cant tell I’d love to see it happen :stuck_out_tongue:

Hey Ryall,
This will happen. I’m sending out a few e-mails to companies who would be willing to furnish prizes to the winners, etc. I’ll create the sections in the forums shortly. Just a matter of time =)

Cheers!
Kirupa :bandit:

I hope moderators aren’t excluded from these ‘contests’ :frowning:

I hope not too. Even though I think I have no chance in heck to win, I would still like to participate. If not, I can work secretly behind the scenes on the same thing, just not submit it.

oohhh prizes eh? I dont remember that being mentioned in the //MODS BRAINSTORM\ thread - I like the idea though! Lost… I would hope that even if MODS are excluded youd all post your work for the rest of us to view, in fact that would be a part of the whole thing that I would look forward to!

Peace

Mods won’t be excluded :slight_smile:

alright!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Awesome!

huh… I am arguing any points, but I would’ve excluded the mods.

I see your point Montoya. I mainly see it because I know sbeener, Ilyas, you and david would whip major arse…haha:P

I just better hope it involves graphics, 3ds max, or flash transitions, and minimal actionscript lol!

Haha, looks like we are in the same boat dan.

Maybe we can have 2 man design teams and have duel prizes, like 2 licensed versions of a program or something like that! Not for every contest but a two man design team contest would be cool!

If i read the contest in the MODS post, I saw this as a chance for the newbie flash users and stuff to gain skills, and apparently by earning prizes. I feel that the MODS would win every time and then people would stop entering. (Don’t get me wrong, all the mods are cool and everything :-)) Also, you will probably get people that will argue and say, “The MODS won because they are MODS and they will be favored!” Not that I think this at all, but I am just trying to bring ideas to the table.

-brad-

2 man design teams all the way! RIGHT ON DAN!

I see your points cogswell, definitely makes sense.

It makes sense but do you think we should be excluded because we help the newbie flashers learn in the forum when we could be cocky bastards and work on things benefitting ourselves instead of by helping providing tutorials, source files, and forum help! I think that is straight up BS and I will tell that to anyone that disagrees, so the flash newbie’s deserve new computers, programs, hence the prizes and us moderators that take our time should be excluded, I just think thats plain selfish, if anything it should inspire the newbie flashers to study our tutorials, posts and source files hard to become like us instead of ***** and moan that they want to be the only ones compeeting, so should us experienced web designers stop designing until the entire flash world is up to speed with us in matter of skills?

Hey,

I’ve seen a few contrary opinions on whether mods should be able to participate, just thought I’d give my view on it. It’s pretty hard to exclude people who help make the place work, that’s a given. But on the other hand,

I think that is straight up BS and I will tell that to anyone that disagrees, so the flash newbie’s deserve new computers, programs, hence the prizes and us moderators that take our time should be excluded, I just think thats plain selfish, if anything it should inspire the newbie flashers to study our tutorials, posts and source files hard to become like us instead of ***** and moan that they want to be the only ones compeeting, so should us experienced web designers stop designing until the entire flash world is up to speed with us in matter of skills?

The part about people learning from your source files to become like you is true, that should be the point of doing this. But you’re talking about a rather large learning curve (imho) and it’s not a 3-4 week process to learn all the ins and outs of flash. It’s more like a few years process to get really good in it to compete with people who do it on a professional level. So I’m not sure it’s a matter of whining because we don’t take the time to learn from people who have more skill, but that it will take a LONG time to come close. I don’t think it’s selfish and I do think that’s quite a valid point. At least that’s how I see it.

Have a good one,

Uthar :nerd:

P.S - This isn’t meant to take shots at people btw, because I know I have a lot of respect for the design and scripting skills on this board (and lets not forget the tolerance for helping anybody). Just making sure that’s noted before any replies are made :wink:

EDIT (by dan4885): If you missed the conversation then I’m glad because it was a good one to miss!

Hey,

Just checking to make sure that’s in a negative connotation :stuck_out_tongue:

Uth :nerd:

EDIT (by dan4885): Ewww…that hurt my tainty little ears! :stuck_out_tongue: