New comp?

Hey,

No need to get personal about it. I didn’t come out and personally insult you. Seems you made the effort in doing that to me though, so I won’t bother responding to that specific remark.

As to your other comments: I didn’t say to take out mods. What I -did- say was that when you start this up, it’s going to be a bit one sided for a while until people start learning from the materials the winners/mods/helpers post. I also said that this process will take a while. That basically sums up what I said.

Hey,

Just checking to make sure that’s in a negative connotation :stuck_out_tongue:

Uth

Was it not obvious enought that the whole point of my little piddle is you stating that my point is not valid. The rest of your post was an opinion that I respect but you don’t have the right to tell me if my point is or isn’t valid!

Hey,

just to make sure this is taken in context, I’ll quote what I said from before so you know exactly what I said

So I’m not sure it’s a matter of whining because we don’t take the time to learn from people who have more skill, but that it will take a LONG time to come close. <b>I don’t think </b> it’s selfish and <b>I do think</b> that’s quite a valid point.

Notice in there I didn’t say that what you said is not valid. I said <B> I </B> think. I didn’t change what you thought, or your point. I gave my view on it.

One reason this is in a board is to discuss things, and as such I can state my opinion of the subject unless I’m subsequently banned/not permitted.

I hope that clears it up. If not, I’m sorry it got so personal.

Uth :nerd:

Alright, I am going to try and stop the argument and say…

The contest was intended to help up and comers learn AS right? Up and Comers do need to learn from examples, tutorials, experimentation, all which will be included in this contest.

More advanced scripters will supply more knowledge than the Up and Comers, so this should help them out even more.

Not all Mods are Genius scripters, I most certainly am not. I still have some learning to do.

What is my point? If this contest is intended to help people to learn and show what they have learned, why leave anyone out?

There are good points and bad points on both sides, all points ARE VALID, I guess it is up to Kirupa to solve that problem since he is the adminitrator/owner of this board.

OMG I feel like such an a-hole, I swear I read your post a million times and you said thats not quite valid. I jump to conclusions a little too early sometimes when its late at night and I haven’t gotten any flashing in (obviously). So I am sorry about it and I am sure it won’t happen again, I was a little confused about your post because I would have thought you would never say anything like that and I guess my first intuition was right but being me and making mistake I blew up on you, I’m suprised you didn’t correct me by my first post:

Not a valid point my ***

Everyone better take a screenshot of this, dan4885 saying sorry and asking for forgiveness because it will be the last time I screw up this bad, or at least I hope! After this I will be to ashamed to ever show my face back in this forum again, I don’t deserve my moderator positions, mods aren’t suppose to be a-holes, even if on accident, if Uthar wants to take away my moderator control then I give you permission now to say so!

Hey,

Thanks Dan, that does mean a lot. I was really really wondering what it was that I had done that had pieved you off so bad (btw, thanks for taking down one of your previous posts… I had quite a difficult time not responding it kind since I took it so personally, just glad I didn’t say anything). Just remember, I always try (keyword try…) to be analytical in what I say. So I don’t go out of my way to bash people, or what they have to say.

Just glad it got cleared up, and thanks for the apology. I return one in kind if I offended you in the exchange.

Have a good night,

I’m glad this is all resolved too, but I’m afraid I convieved myself as too big of an a-hole to want to show my face here again considering I’ll probably lose everyone’s respect for losing my cool so easily!

Are you nuts?

-Keep it, you deserve it from the amount you help. I can’t say anything more on the subject than that.

P.S - Please stick around. You don’t know how hard it is to find a) somebody who’s willing to help that much b) Admit their wrong c) have such a comprehensive knowledge of design elements that aren’t even related to flash itself (which you know tons about as well).

Hey dan, it is 1:45AM, I hightly doubt anyone will get on your case for blowing up in the middle of the night when you haven’t gotten any sleep.

It happens, I have done it (Uthar has seen that post), although I didn’t blow up as bad as you, I still did. It happens, we get over it. Most people probably won’t read this thread, and those that do, will forget about it in a couple of days.

Thanks for the comments Uthar, but remember if I ever get out of hand again make sure you get out the dunce hat to throw on my head because its usually for comment that wasn’t even said or meant towards me! I still haven’t a clue how I read that post sooooo wrong, I swear, I don’t do drugs :P!

Hehe quite an amusing convo topic. Don’t worry dan, your apology has been screenshot(ted?), printed, framed, and hanged on the wall behind my comp lol.

I’ll try to have this competition open to a lot more people than flashers who post here alone. In other words, I hope to publicize this on other Flash sites and boards, and we may get a more diverse group of submissions from people who normally don’t post here.

Just a thought.

Cheers!
Kirupa :rambo:

thought: what about having different catagories/levels of compition? I guess it would be hard to tell if people were really being honest about their skill level esp if you attract new members that none of us have talked to before. Another way to do it would be to have a few different contests, some that are directed at lower skill levels and then some that are aimed towards the upper level - that way just in trying you’d have to be experienced and the playing field would be level. I dunno just something to throw out there… but I agree the point of this thing is learning AND teaching so excluding anyone seems to be counter productive.

Peace

It may be harder to manage different levels of contest, and it may get confusing getting non-members to partake in this event.

Good ideas, but they will definitely take some planning and sorting.

Ok, here is the guidelines page: http://www.kirupa.com/contest/index.htm A big thanks goes out to pom (ilyas) for writing the text. Note that the content is not finalized, and more will be added to help answer any questions anyone may have.

Now I have another question, what will be the judging process? Also, how will the users submit their works. On the forums?

Cheers!

Judging + Submitting - The bit-101 forum created a section for his contest, and he created a thread where all users can submit their creations. Then at the end of the month, he creates a new thread with a poll which contains links to all the submitted entries. Then the viewers vote on the poll.

I don’t want to copy, but it is pretty effective.

<B>EDIT:</B> Hey Kirupa, go to your quidelines page. All of the text next to the flash title that says “Contest” is a link that leads the the MX tutorial for Photo Galleries. Is this an error?

Hey lost,
Yep that is an error lol. I basically copied and pasted the Flash MX page and stuck all the Contest related info there. I haven’t created any of the links yet, and once I get an idea about what the prizes will be from a few sponsors, we can publicize this thing on the site and other flash sites, etc.

This is still in early beta lol. I’m hoping everything will be finalized shortly though!

Cheers!

So moderators can participate but only for fun, so its just like everyday flash life for me, so why even participate? I need to start surfing some other forums where I can be included and benifit from my talents and hard work instead of just given an invisible pat on the back.

<~pats dan on the back

we love you dan… don’t leave us. :slight_smile:

geez if it is coming to that - why not have a MODS only section? BTW Dan… why do you think I would be participating??? Well I’ll let you know: for fun, to learn, and grow as a developer. Cant you do the same? I know I would not be looking for prizes or fame, in fact I didnt think this whole thing was going to have prizes. I just thought it was a way to inspire some friendly compition, and possibly help in the process.

Dont take this as a personal attack either, I think youre a great designer and I respect your talents.

Peace

I have been using Flash since Version 4…I love to learn but thats not the point…I am not stating it again, I already have repeated myself enough times, no one here understands me or wants to understand me and thats that, I guess I have to realize this eventually was going to happen staying in a forum that happens to attract more newbies than it does advance user, hence that what happens when you make a tutorial site!