New Computer, is this enough hd space?

Yea, I was looking into those, but that nearly doubles the price for the same space. I haven’t had an HD crash since the Win98 era, so I guess I’d rather get the most bang for my buck.

Not for me :D, I get them wholesale and tax deductable through my dad’s company.

I bought a P4 2.6/gig of ram/Radeon 9600XT/17"monitor for $1000 earlyer this year. It would have cost me about $2200 retail.

Win!

How about you, me, and lunch :love:

Can I come too ? :beam:

**** you :crying:

Er…btw the ****'s is [edited]

HAHAHAHA that’s great, I know you didn’t write the edited and stuff but that’s just so funny…

I’ve got a media server and player in my house (server runs linux, /w samba and apache being the main use and the player runs WinXP MCE). We’ve got 4 250 GB hard drives with a RAID 5 Array hardware controller running. It’s freaking awesome. It’s mainly tons of TV episodes. Every Simpsons, Seinfeld, EVERY Star Trek (from the original through enterprise), ATHF, Sealab, Family Guy, X-Files… tons of others. Lots of movies and ummm cough “back up” game ISO’s. (We play LAN games and have about 180 gigs of ISO images we mount with alchohol 120%). So if you download lots of media, sometimes mass storage is nice.

How much do I have to pay you to get an exact copy of that in my livingroom? =)

Lol. I live with 3 other CIS/CSE guys. That helps with the funds a lot. I think it is probobly about a grand all together. You don’t need an uber machine to run as a fileserver… The server is a 2 Ghz Athlon with 512 megs of 333 DDR. The hard drives were relatively cheap, as we waited for a Fry’s deal to pick them up. Around 500 bucks for 4 of the 250’s. The RAID controller wasn’t too bad either. The media player is another story. It’s a pretty beefy system, but it was kind of free because my roommate won another free UBER system from a contest. Win XP MCE was the only real cost.

The stars make the word look worse than it is. :confused:

next time use darn or confound it :pleased:

Anyone wanna explain what RAID is?

As far as I know, RAID is a way to string drives together and make them seem as being one… or something like that. I was watching the Screensavers the other day and Yoshi had a two terabyte RAID setup, it was badass (it read in Windows as 1.8 terabytes). But it was all read as one drive.

okay colin, because i know that it stands for either Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks or Redundant Array of Independent Disks.

If you are female and willing to travel to Australia…

sure! :smiley:

Aw, shoot! :frowning:

:stuck_out_tongue:

Raid 0 = Two or more drives functioning as one big one. Splits files in two and stores it on each HDD so it’s faster.

Raid 5 (What I use) = Similar to Raid 0, but requires 3 or more drives to work. Same principle, but it partitions a parity drive to each HDD, so if one or two go out, you can recover the files using another HDD. :smiley:

Oh cool - i get it now.

My Harddrive is 250gb and trust me its enough space. I gurantee wont even use that much.