Newb questions

1)Im working on my first web page. Ive got buttons set up and everything and I wanted to know how to make it work so that when u click a button not a new window pops ups but it actually shows up somewhere inside the original site.

1. Also I would like to know how to make a buttons stroke fade out as u move the mouse away from the button. Say , when u move ur mouse over the button i made so that the stroke lights up (I just went to edit and chaged the stroke in “OVER”). So I want the stroke fade out as u move the mouse away and not just disappear.

Thanks.

The first question is not a newb question. I would suggest going through the tutorials on Kirupa’s site, and going through the “Best of Kirupa” forum first. Then come back and it might be explainable to you… as for the second question, there is a tutorial specificaly on that in Kirupa’s tutorial section. I’ll see if I can find a link.

Thanks for your reply. Id really appreciate if you could give me the link to both tutorials.

ok… lets tackle these one at a time

1)Im working on my first web page. Ive got buttons set up and everything and I wanted to know how to make it work so that when u click a button not a new window pops ups but it actually shows up somewhere inside the original site.

OK… either you can use the getUrl(); action on your button, and create each page separately, or you can use loadMovie(); and have peices of your site show up in the flash player. This of course is entirely up to the individual. When I was just starting out, I used a lot of getUrl(); commands. This way you just create your pages in your favorite html editor, and then set up the links in flash.

You haven’t filled me in on wether or not you have the html or flash experience to do this though. If you need to know how to build a site and you’ve never done any work on the web before, you’re going to need to let me know that.

1. Also I would like to know how to make a buttons stroke fade out as u move the mouse away from the button. Say , when u move ur mouse over the button i made so that the stroke lights up (I just went to edit and chaged the stroke in “OVER”). So I want the stroke fade out as u move the mouse away and not just disappear.

I’m sure what you’ve been doing so far is placing animation in the second and third keyFrames of your buttons. That’s a fine way to start out… but alas, as you’ve seen, it instantaniously disapears when you rollOff the button… which just doesn’t look right.

It’s time you learned how to control movie clips from buttons. This is how we do the effects where by the button slowly leads off of it’s state on rollOver. This tutorial should get you started. If you need any help completing it, get back to me. Once you’ve done it, then we can move on to specific explinations of various button animations.

do this one first IF you’ve got no experience with tellTargets functions
www.kirupa.com/developer/…target.asp

if you have done tellTargets before, move on to this one.
www.kirupa.com/developer/…dvroll.asp

Thank you very much. Ive got my buttons to work now. I used loadMovie and it worked perfectly! Im started on the tutorials right now and if i will need any help now i know who to talk to :slight_smile:

:slight_smile: … glad it’s working for you.