Page weight

hi –

i have a page that weighs about 42k, not bad, i thought. but the images load so slowly on a 56k modem – painfully slow.

why is this? are my images not sliced up small enough? the largest of the images is 6k, and there are 3 of them. also, it seems that the small flash movie i have load as the page loads is interfering with the loading of the other images. how can i prevent the flash film from loading until all images on the page loads? i assume it’s javascript but i’m not sure how to do it.

thanks for taking the time to help.

matt.

Sounds odd!

Have you specified the dimensions of all your images in the HTML? When your browser views a page on the web it looks at the images to see if they have a predifined width and height - without these predifined sizes the images will take longer to arrive as it will have to work out their actual dimensions as they are being downloaded.

As for the Flash interfering with the images download - i would’nt see this as the reason.

Hope this has been helpful

Rabskers

hello, and thank you for your help, i really appreciate it. unfortunately, my image width and height dimensions have already been specified. so, i’m not sure what it really could be now – i’m a bit at a loss. i thought that your pages would load pretty quickly on a 56k even if it weighed up to 60K. am i wrong about this? where might i go from here, what else can i look into?

thanks, matt.

hello, and thank you for your help, i really appreciate it. unfortunately, my image width and height dimensions have already been specified. so, i’m not sure what it really could be now – i’m a bit at a loss. i thought that your pages would load pretty quickly on a 56k even if it weighed up to 60K. am i wrong about this? where might i go from here, what else can i look into?

thanks, matt.

Rhyle… your comment was unappreciated, designed to provoke attack, and has been deleted. Stop being an @$$.

as for the question at hand… a 56k connection rarely means that you are receiving things at 56k per second… more like 28. If you are SURE that it should load faster than it is, check with your provider. It is possible that they have a really slow pipeline set up for your stuff… especially if it was free web space. I don’t know if there is much to do about that other than changing providers.