Please help a newbie

Please help.
I am trying to embed a swf file into another swf file in order to learn how to make a complete flash site but am having a little trouble doing it. I successfully used the loadmovie file to embed another swf file into my original but the effect only last for a minute. After that, if I try to press on the other buttons to embed another swf file, nothing happens. The following is a code I am using for one of the buttons.

on (rollOver) {
tellTarget ("/rollover") {
gotoAndPlay (“1text”);
}
}
on (rollOut) {
tellTarget ("/rollover") {
gotoAndPlay (“1back”);
}
}
on (release) {
loadMovieNum(“art.swf”, 1);
}

Thank you in advance for your help.

Well… first lets get your terminology correct.

you’re not embeding movies with this method, you’re loading them. “embeding” is what occures with an embed tag in an html page. So really what you’re doing on the html is embeding the Flash player. That flash player in turn loads your first movie (the one in it’s address line) into level0 of the player.

The next thing is, if you’re using Flash 5.0 you should get used to the new syntax. The telltarget stuff works with Flash 5.0, but it’s cumbersome. The code you posted above can be more easily writen (in Flash 5.0) like so.

on (rollOver) {
rollover.gotoAndPlay (“1text”);
}
on (rollOut) {
rollover.gotoAndPlay (“1back”);
}
on (release) {
loadMovieNum(“art.swf”, 1);
}

You’ll notice that the tell target lines are gone completely. In Flash 5.0 we only need to call out to the object with a name, place a period after it, and then give it a command.

This is assuming that the movie clip called “rollover” is on the main timeline.

(If you need more info on how that syntax works take a look at my tutorial pages at www.centerspin.com)

now to your problem. I must admit that I don’t understand why, if all of your coding is like the above, that it wouldn’t work.

Can you explain a little more about what is or is not happening?

if you load a new movie into the same level as another movie, it should replace that movie.

One trick that you could do is this.

in each movie that’s being loadED into the main movie, place a bit of code on the first frame that looks like this.

var loaded=“Success on the load”;
trace(loaded);

What these two lines of code should do is, when one of the movie’s loaded, a popup window will open and display the words “Success on the load”.

This might give you an indication if the movies have loaded or not.

If they are not loading at all

check to make sure that the swf’s that you’re loading are located in the same directory as the swf that is doing the loading.

check to make sure that the swf’s have some sort of content so that you can actually see something apear if they’ve loaded correctly.

Short of that… I’d say you’ll probebly have to pack up each of the FLA’s into a zip file and send them to me at [email protected]. I’ll be happy to take a quick look for you.

Thanks so much for your help. I’ll give that a try.

I was playing my movie navigating through the site but when I clicked all the buttons and pressed once again this appears:

256 levels of recursion were exceeded in one action list.
This is probably an infinite loop.
Further execution of actions has been disabled in this movie.

How can I solve this? What does it means?

Is this a new problem, or one related to the script I posted above?

If it’s new then it belongs in it’s own thread.

Sounds to me like you have a infinite loop set up somewhere…