Png vrs gif

Been using .png for transparency for some time now since file size usually isnt an issue for most of my projects. (non-web) Since I started playing around with Flash I decided to try and get some better optimization by using .gif format instead but it doesnt seem to work that way?

I have 28 .png images, total file size of 678KB imported to flash and the exported .swf is 56KB.
Same 28 images in .gif has a total size of 248KB but when exported the .swf is 188KB ? They were both made exactly the same way. The gif version has a much crisper look to it, but for its ridiculous final size it **** well better.
Whats up with that? Does Flash just hate the .gif format or what?

use jpg not gif or png. gif loses color and png is not good either.

High resolution images used on websites use jpg becuase of the maximum color that can hold and produce.

Yea, I would if I didnt need the transparency for the effect I was after, but for this particular project it is mostly 3d renders that are moving over each other so a transparent background is a must.

you can customize the compression, and depending on the image may help. goto the movie’s library right click on the image and click properties. the PNG’s defualt is compression is JPG :h: i don’t know why but it is, well at least on my computer. I would keep them as JPG compression/interpretion, you can customized the file size/compression more efficently.

JPGS- are best for photo type files. They preserve colors the best depending on compression. But lack transparency.

gif are much more web graphics. they use transparency well, but lack colors. Mainly used b/c of small file size.

PNGs- pngs are bigger b/c that use more exact colors and preserve transparency much better than gifs. PNG is a cross between gifs and jpgs.

conclusion: use PNG.

*Originally posted by sgroove *
**use jpg not gif or png. gif loses color and png is not good either.

High resolution images used on websites use jpg becuase of the maximum color that can hold and produce. **

Not always true… i thought so too, but found that some images that have fine straight lines and things like defined edges, (say fonts or oulined vector shapes put into photoshop) they turn out clearer when used as a .gif or png in flash

Jpgs are generally for things that have gradients (photos)… so its sometimes best to try out all compression setting in flash to see which suits better.

:wink:

For some reason, png looks so much clearer than jpg/gif. gif is just an animated small little picture. Png looks…just nicer than the others.

png IS the fireworks native file format. Macromedia probably know how to handle them best :wink: